Discuss Charging for testing, certs and notification etc... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

muzza1

-
Reaction score
Hello all, just a thought...
Could i ask if anyone ever charges for testing, certs and notification on top of general electrical install or do you allways include the above within the contract price for sockets, downlights, cu change etc...
Just wondered because sometimes that call all take up to half a days work on top of everything else!
Cheers...

Hello all, just a thought...
Could i ask if anyone ever charges for testing, certs and notification on top of general electrical install or do you allways include the above within the contract price for sockets, downlights, cu change etc...
Just wondered because sometimes that call all take up to half a days work on top of everything else!
Cheers...

Factor the time in to your quote... You are a business.

When I am quoting for notifiable work, I include a line on the estimate and a £10 charge to confirm that the certificate and LABC notice will be done.

I have done this for years and nobody has ever questioned it.

When doing EICR's I charge for a day and tell the client I will be onsite for about 5-6 hours - then the remainder of the day is for doing the write up at home - nobody has ever questioned this.

Admin is part of being a "proper" spark and as such you should factor this time and overhead into your quotes...

Cheers Gents, good to hear your opinions. I agree with your point about having good admin, just with the dreaded scam subscription coming up soon am trying to really get on top of the financial side of things. Sometimes i find doing the install is a piece of cake (tbh i find the paperwork side a pain but i suppose it has to be done) Had my mft and my bosch 110 robbed from my van the other night which hasn't helped matters. Thanks again.

Cheers Murdoch, thanks for your info. I often get enquires about eicr's but never do them as i wouldn't be able to handle all the paperwork and trying to explain the codes etc to the customer would be tricky as they only want a cert to say satisfactory!
A friend of mine sometimes deducts 50% of the price of the eicr from the final bill after completing the relavent "minor works" and he's happy doing it that way.
Taken a few days off this week, but we never really take time off , do we! lol

When I am quoting for notifiable work, I include a line on the estimate and a £10 charge to confirm that the certificate and LABC notice will be done....

So are you not with a scheme (I mean scam) Murdoch? I say this as I thought you only notified LABC if you weren't under a scheme? (Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I subbie for a company who is NICEIC registered, so not had the need to notify any work as yet).

You still have to notify Skimpy, the difference is that you notify through your scheme provider and not direct.

That's my point (sorry if that wasn't clear as I thought a direct LABC submission was a couple of hundred pounds?)

I'm confused at what Murdoch's wording & £10 fee is for then if it comes under a scheme submission anyway. Wouldn't that just be swallowed up in the total cost?

That's my point (sorry if that wasn't clear as I thought a direct LABC submission was a couple of hundred pounds?)

I'm confused at what Murdoch's wording & £10 fee is for then if it comes under a scheme submission anyway. Wouldn't that just be swallowed up in the total cost?
I believe Murdoch is registered with a scam provider, he just states on his estimate an extra tenner to cover cost of a few certs and to notify (a small extra charge we all have to pay when notifying every job)
Tbh i might have chosen a different trade if i knew i'd have to stump up near £600 per year to call myself a registered sparks.

So are you not with a scheme (I mean scam) Murdoch? I say this as I thought you only notified LABC if you weren't under a scheme? (Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I subbie for a company who is NICEIC registered, so not had the need to notify any work as yet).

I'm with a scheme.

I add my Stroma number on the estimate too, so if the potential client want to look me up they can...

The £10 charge is so they can see the "cost" - I include more in the overall price so the £10 is to avoid people saying "can I save £xx by not doing this"!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh okay, that makes more sense to me now. Thanks for clarifying it's for the scheme fees rather than a very cheap rate to register direct to the LABC - therefore you're losing out massively each time you reported a job!

Just a thought, (not wanting to go into the crazy part p debate), but do you know roughly what percentage of trading contractors agree with paying the fees every year? (which basically allow you to work)

Oh okay, that makes more sense to me now. Thanks for clarifying it's for the scheme fees rather than a very cheap rate to register direct to the LABC - therefore you're losing out massively each time you reported a job!

How ????

I've got 4 or 5 LABC's I work in so trying to register with all them would be a logistical nightmare. £288 to Stroma makes good business sense UNLIKE nearly £500 for Elecsa

How ????

I've got 4 or 5 LABC's I work in so trying to register with all them would be a logistical nightmare. £288 to Stroma makes good business sense UNLIKE nearly £500 for Elecsa
Sorry, I was meaning why were you charging £10 to register each job with LABC, when it is more like £200 per job, per council. Therefore you were doing yourself out of pocket if you weren't with a scam.

I needed to clarify myself more. Sorry

I'm with stroma too, I find the notifications online much easier and for £288 you cant grumble at all. I reckon they will grow and grow as more and more sparks get tired of being ripped off for what equates to one day on site by an assessor and then bugger all else every year. The administration is done pretty much by yourself and their part is just a data dump every month to the relevant building control body. I dont see how they can charge £600 a year for basic admin?

Rant over lol

Dave

Reply to Charging for testing, certs and notification etc... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock