Discuss Charity work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Has the title suggests , does anyone have a customer they do work for for free.
Anyone who knows me knows that I am a massive Dog lover and Treat my boy Jack like a Baby, and cannot abide anyone who is cruel or abusive to dogs.
If there is ever a TV program on about it you can guarantee I will be watching it.
So this has got me thinking I would love to offer my services to a local Dog rescue/shelter free of charge of course.
So over the next few weeks I am going to try and suss a few of them out and see what I can come up with.
so does Anyone else do anything similar.

Scouts,i found they're very good at shanghaiing parents and siblings, good cause so apart from occasional moan i don't mind helping out ,though i had to go through background checks and references .For me it was payback time for a lot of good times as a kid also the geek in me enjoyed teaching them but unfortunately shift work has meant i can't commit full time anymore .

I do free work of all types at a local charity coffee shop in Farnborough. They help young victims of serious domestic abuse from ages 8 to 16. I have no real experience with abuse I just think it is wrong and I like to do what is right

I do free work of all types at a local charity coffee shop in Farnborough. They help young victims of serious domestic abuse from ages 8 to 16. I have no real experience with abuse I just think it is wrong and I like to do what is right

Good for you Ryan, any type of abuse is a form of Bullying, be it children old people animals it is all the same.

GMES - assume you mean electrical rather than just any charitable volunteering?

I'm currently doing post flood rebuilds on uninsured victims properties via the council/s at 40% discount, which is basically my profit margin so effectively for free but without advertising the fact.

I have worked for several people who seem to do a lot of work for free, as every time I asked for a pay rise they were never making anything on a job.

GMES - assume you mean electrical rather than just any charitable volunteering?

I'm currently doing post flood rebuilds on uninsured victims properties via the council/s at 40% discount, which is basically my profit margin so effectively for free but without advertising the fact.

Yes mate I mean electrical anything from fixing outside lighting to new installation work. and Good on you for what you are doing!!

I donate annually to my favoured charities, and have done for years now. To the best of my knowledge i've never charged a penny to pensioners of lets say limited means for any work i've carried out for them.

We have an old couple looking after the building our project team live in. While all the rental apartments had been renovated and rewired prior to us moving in the small ground floor caretaker apartment hadn't been touched. I approached our main contractor with our Civil Engineer and with a little cohesion arranged for the old couples apartment to get a facelift and rewired at no charge...

That was 18 months ago now, and this old couple can't do enough for us all, the old man is even learning basic English care of my wife (and her friend,) who believe it or not, speaks better English than me!! lol!!

I do a bit of work for free. my local vet where I have always taken my pets too have always been very good to me and gone out of their way to help in any way they can. I do any electrical work in the surgery labour free and with a reduced parts cost. I also look after their vehicles at my garage. There are 2 women that own the place and they get labour free work with reduced price parts, and I also do a reduced labour rate for the staff there again with reduced parts cost. apart from that, I don't do much else for free.

I have cabled the local community kids club for free. I used left over materials from other jobs to complete it, mainly Dado trunking and a few data points for an Internet cafe they were setting up, even managed to get the PC's for free from a few companies I work with who were upgrading to newer systems.
I invoice full amount with 100% discount, to stop HMRC thinking I am doing a cash in hand job.

Done quite a bit for elderly neighbors and families on a tight budget. Last one was only about 5 weeks ago, neighbor opposite, alarm went off at midnight and could not silence it. Husband working away and the woman was in a fit of tiers whilst looking through the yellow pages for an alarm engineer. She did not want to knock on my door and wake me up lol! The alarm did that. 5 mins later and all is quiet. "How much do you want?"
"Nothing, go to bed"

Two days later and the husband knocks on the door with the gift of a tray of beer and a £20 note as a thank you!!! I accepted the beers and tried to refuse the money but he would not take no for an answer, it paid for the takeaway lol. Well it did save them around £100 call out charge, all I wanted to do is go to sleep.

If I am right I think the RSPCA is a charity or possibly has links to other charity around the animal welfare. It may well be worth giving them a quick call.

myself and the mrs have just signed.up to the RSPCA, will be good to take a few.of.the.dogs out at the weekend and spoil them . never really done anything like.this.before but is always nice to give back

Done quite a bit for elderly neighbors and families on a tight budget. Last one was only about 5 weeks ago, neighbor opposite, alarm went off at midnight and could not silence it. Husband working away and the woman was in a fit of tiers whilst looking through the yellow pages for an alarm engineer. She did not want to knock on my door and wake me up lol! The alarm did that. 5 mins later and all is quiet. "How much do you want?"
"Nothing, JUST TAKE ME TO BED

Two days later and the husband knocks on the door with the gift of a tray of beer and a £20 note as a thank you!!! I accepted the beers and tried to refuse the money but he would not take no for an answer, it paid for the takeaway lol. Well it did save them around £100 call out charge, all I wanted to do is go to sleep.

You dirty old toad ha ha

Electrically wise I've only done a few small bits for people and a fair bit for the local village hall.

I'm also a St John ambulance volunteer

Non Electrically I was going to volunteer to be a first responder, but with my hours not knowing whAt time I am finishing or if working weekends I couldn't do it

Reply to Charity work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net