Discuss Chase junction box in wall in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Martin G

Hi Guys,

I'm tweaking the layout to my garage and I'd like to put a cabinet against the wall right where my conservatory sockets are fed from. Due to this I need to recess a junction.

I had planned to mount an adaptable box in the wall and chase a channel out for some conduit, however I'm not sure the block work is up to it. The wall is made from 100mm blocks and my adaptable box is 2" deep, it feels like I'd need to remove far too much of the wall to make it work.

Rather than a box and choc connector in the wall, could I simply use a crimp connector to extend the cable, running it into some conduit. This way I could avoid taking 2" out of the wall. I understand this would make the joint inaccessible, is this ok?

Cheers,
Martin

Is there any way to avoid this? They're nice new metal lockers I'd rather not mess up.

Get a shallower MF joint box that means you won't need to chase in as deep.

Rather than a box and choc connector in the wall, could I simply use a crimp connector to extend the cable, running it into some conduit. This way I could avoid taking 2" out of the wall. I understand this would make the joint inaccessible, is this ok?

This is ok, as long as the crimps are good and you put some heatshrink round the crimps and then round the cable.
Ok, other things can be used instead of heatshrink.
Make the cable double insulated again.....

Are the socket surface or flush mounted?

The sockets in the adjacent conservatory are flush, but this cable feeding them isnt coming in directly behind them. It must run through the wall at about waist height and then go down a conduit into the socket on the other side.

Make the cable double insulated again.....
To be pedantic a cable is never double insulated. The sheath of an insulated and sheathed cable is for mechanical protection and may not have the same insulating properties as the insulation.

Can you post photo's as I think we're guessing a bit of the existing installation.

Here is the wall, this will be covered in cabinets. As you can see, I've already moved the conduit for the lighting circuit higher to avoid the cabinets.
Upload the image directly to the thread: The most awesome images on the Internet - https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/WuUENI2

Here is a side-on profile of the junction I'd like to sort out. This junction box is temporary, hopefully I can replace it with something recessed (the wires are supply, garage sockets and conservatory sockets).
Upload the image directly to the thread: The most awesome images on the Internet - https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/RgpdJJQ

the cable coming out of the wall into the JB... where does it go/ come from?

the cable coming out of the wall into the JB... where does it go/ come from?

The sockets in the conservatory (behind that wall). The sockets aren't directly behind this hole though, so I cant pull the cable and run a longer one to avoid a junction there.

the ideal would be to replace that cable with a longer one and bring out to the right; in the recess to the left of those pipes. then fit your JB there. is the wall a cavity wall to fish from the socket?

Reply to Chase junction box in wall in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net