Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss chasing double box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Carl Molyneux

Carl Molyneux Guest

Anyone got any suggestions of tools to use for cutting out a double box on hard brick

2. johnboy6083

johnboy6083 Band Member Electrician's Arms

a decent laboure/mate. Then its grinder with an SDS scutch chisel

3. Marvo

Marvo Admin and gender confused Staff Member Admin

Drill the corners and sides then hammer and chisel. If you've got a drill with a jack hammer function then even better. If dust isn't an issue go big with the grinder and a diamond disk.

Edit, I'm not sure why I felt the need to post advice in this thread, I haven't used a chisel in probably ten years.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  4. sjm

sjm Guest

I'm with Marvo. Drill corners sides etc, then I use the Armeg hard material chisel (right height for boxes) in the SDS with roto stop drill. Tip if you mark the drill at the correct depth, 25mm or 35mm, the cut out should end up nice and flat backed if you put extra drill holes through the middle as well as sides, corners etc.

5. Dave 85

Dave 85 Guest

I find using my terminal screwdriver as a chisel and my cutters as a hammer is highly effective for chasing engineering bricks. Swear by it.

• Like Like x 4
  6. trev

trev Regular EF Member

Lots of drill holes to the right depth then nice and easy with the scutch chisel bit on the sds. Take your time and you get nice flat bottomed box cutouts.

7. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    or go a bit deeper, nick some adhesive off the dot and dab boys, stick the box in, save on your screw/plug kit.:hurray:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Carl Molyneux

Carl Molyneux Guest

I'm a 3rd year apprentice so I am the labourer that's the problem but its all part of the learning so cant complain haha

9. johnboy6083

johnboy6083 Band Member Electrician's Arms

i find the grinder with the SDS scutch chisel works best. The stich drill method also works, but its horses for courses. For engineering brick, there is no easy way, its just hard graft, even with an SDS drill.

10. darkwood

darkwood Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

lump hammer and chisel... learn the good old way build your muscles and once you've learned to sculp the many varieties of brick and stone work then move on to electrical tools to help you ... that way you wont ever get stuck if you equipement fails .... in response to your OP i have a bosch 36v drill with fixed chisel action.... its the bees knees of any kit ive ever had and its all in one.

• Like Like x 2
  11. darkwood

darkwood Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

I fear next with modern tech etc they will be laying a bed of petals along the ground for the new age sparkies just to make them feel happy.... learning the old lump hammer and chisel will toughen some of them up.. and i mean chisels without plastic or rubber hand gaurds - if youve never hit your hand till its swollen as part of the learning curve then you aint a sparkie as its part of the right of passage :wink5:

Sorry just a jovial jibe at how we learnt the trade and how it is now ... bet most of them dont know what a tap and turn is ....still got mine lol, well just in case you dont know its a hand drill (well a pointed spike in a hand held base that you hit and turned / hit and turned ......... so after chiselling a engineering brick out you then had to spend 15 - 20mins creating the hole to put a plug in; oh the joys!

• Like Like x 1
  12. trev

trev Regular EF Member

Tap and turns, oh the apprenticeship joy.

13. Jel

Jel Regular EF Member

Using a diamond tip angle grinder on sides and edges , then make large connect 4 like lines across box and use scutch chisel to cut out rest.
    Only problem is you don't want to be using angle grinder if people are living in property other wise you will waste too much time trying to clean it all up after. That's why it's a good idea to practice by cutting it out by hand.

14. Rockingit

Rockingit Forum Mentor

Yep, only do by machine what you know you can do by hand, otherwise you can end up making a right sloppy mess of the job by not taking enough care.

Besides, in some materials it's QUICKER to do the job by hand than spend ten minutes trudging to/fro the van.

15. UNG

UNG Forum Mentor

I've always known them as RawlDrills, I've got a few different sizes. An old joiner who worked on a factory site I was working at had what I can only describe as a hand operated hammer drill that used the Rawldrill bits been looking for one for the last 30 years as it was a useful bit of kit