Discuss Chasing in and trunking? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Nobbin

-
Reaction score
I've been on a few jobs where a previous installer has chased in some 25mm trunking instead of the 25mm oval conduit that I would normally use. I don't like capping as it's a bugger to send new cables through.
Just wanted peoples opinion of best practice when it comes to mechanical protection below 50mm in wall chases. I may be looking in the wrong place but I can't see any guidance on this other than cables less 50mm deep require either RCD protection or metal capping. I'm guessing the plastic capping and conduit is something we do as best practice to protect the naked cable from slap dash plasters?

Cheers in advance for your words of wisdom.

Ordinary metal capping isn't deemed adeqate as mechanical protection. 3mm steel seems to be pretty much the accepted industry standard for mechanical protection. An earthed metallic bit of containment like conduit or trunking would be adequate because it's earthed. If it's just buried in the wall and not earthed then the metallic trunking/conduit would not be adeqate to omit the 30mA RCD protection. Capping is used to protect the cables from plasterers but obviously also serves the purpose of holding the cable to the wall. For me if it's being chased then oval conduit is used, if it's a new wall that's either going to be float and setted or dot and dabbed then it gets capped.

Oval for me and on the odd occasion I’ll go all proper and go 20mm conduit into the metal backbox with a bush coupler, “proper job” - Andy from scrapheap challenge.

In Northern Ireland we can get oval conduit no problem. PVC/PVC Single Brown, Blue, Blue/Earth, Brown/Earth, Twin Brown. But good luck trying to get 1.0mm T&E. Or top hat capping, wholesaler don't generally stock that either.

Should add general method of installation is 20mm light gauge conduit chased into walls. On new builds no dot and dab, walls are sand and cement floated out before skimming.

In Northern Ireland we can get oval conduit no problem. PVC/PVC Single Brown, Blue, Blue/Earth, Brown/Earth, Twin Brown. But good luck trying to get 1.0mm T&E. Or top hat capping, wholesaler don't generally stock that either.
Wouldn't say oval's common here. I'm pretty sure it would be a special order if I wanted it.

Wouldn't say oval's common here. I'm pretty sure it would be a special order if I wanted it.
To be fair, when I order it I only order 1-2 lengths of it as oppose to 20mm round light gauge, which I'd order by the bundle. Very seldom use the oval, it has it's uses but they are very infrequent.

I'd probably use about oval 15m a year, capping 2m a year, round conduit a few thousand metres per year.

I generally use oval, however I do chase trunking in the wall but only for 1 purpose.

I use mt4 trunking quite often when the customer decides they might want to mount the TV to the wall.
Quite often I'll put a brush plate high level and a brush plate low level and chase a couple of bits of mt4 between.
I've found that the right shape a size to be able to thread hdmi cables through if need be.

Oval and capping are the norm around here.

Oval for additions in existing walls and capping for extensions/new builds where walls are to be dot and dabbed.

Reply to Chasing in and trunking? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock