Discuss Cheap Halogens Occasionally Flickering in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

Had a call-out today for a lady who was concerned about 'flashing' lights throughout her house. The 'flashing' happens about once every 10 minutes, and the lamp essentially goes off for a split second. The issue happens across both of the lighting circuits. I've checked at the board and within the lighting JBs in the attic for loose connections but everything is nice and tight. The only thing I can think of is that the cheap halogen GLS lamps in use are causing this to happen, although I'm having trouble thinking of a reason why they would do this (if they even are).

Any thoughts appreciated!

Replace a lamp with a decent brand .................. did you check the incoming tails at the CU and the meter and the head?

Is there sizzling or crackling from the DNO head?

Had a call-out today for a lady who was concerned about 'flashing' lights throughout her house. The 'flashing' happens about once every 10 minutes, and the lamp essentially goes off for a split second. The issue happens across both of the lighting circuits. I've checked at the board and within the lighting JBs in the attic for loose connections but everything is nice and tight. The only thing I can think of is that the cheap halogen GLS lamps in use are causing this to happen, although I'm having trouble thinking of a reason why they would do this (if they even are).
it was not close encounters was it?

I thought it might be to do with a load somewhere else too, but the 'flashing' occurred with just the lighting circuits energised. RE the table lamps, no - only the ceiling lights which had the Halogen GLS lamps in them.

In parts of Southampton the supply sometimes 'dips' when it's fed from different networks or something; apparently when the H&S manager is sitting at home and the lights dip he knows he's going to get a call from the factory because certain machines have stopped.

Reply to Cheap Halogens Occasionally Flickering in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net