Discuss Chernobyl does anyone remember it? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just been watching the attempts to contain the Radio Active fallout from Chernobyl, I was in Moscow when it expoded, and can recall the monitoring of all foodstuffs coming into where I worked, worrying to say the least, as all or most of our food came from Finnland. I often wonder it the accident caused my illnesses, but not to worry sheyet happens, anyone else got any experiences of this disaster?

I remember it, I think I was studying for my GCSEs at the time.

I was in Moscow in 1995/96 and we were told even then to avoid things like mushrooms because they apparently absorb radiation quite well.

I don’t remember it happening as I was only two weeks old at the time, but I remember studying it at school and am still quite interested in the subject.

They have recently completed the new containment over reactor 4, but as far as I know there is still no plan in place to do anything with it.

You can book tours of the Chernobyl site if you fancy a holiday there, just don’t forget the lead underpants!

I was in Moscow when it went up, and can recall having all our food monitored, trouble was the Ivans kept it secret for Days to save face, typical enclosed society, fed on BS and kept in the dark, bit like our Government when you analyze it isn't it?

I nearly put a smiley face for funny, but thought it may have been a bit tasteless if it wasnt a joke.
Not really funny Pete, we still don't know the effects of radiation, and what sicknesses it causes I wouldn't discard anything, too close for comfort for me .

I’ve read in the past about the radiation being detected on hills up my way. Always wondered about it getting past on through the food chain. There always seems to be poor kids born with various diseases, this persons got cancer that ones got leukaemia. It makes you bloody wonder.

I was still at primary school at the time and although I heard it mentioned nobody bothered to explain to me what was going on.
I have played Fallout 3, Fallout 4 and Fallout New Vegas though.

An ex girlfriend was from Moldova. Her parents moved there from belarus before the collapse of the soviet union.
Belarus had it bad from the fall out. My ex's cousins would regularly go to moldova for a few weeks each year as the time away from the home town across the border from ukraine would do wonders for there health apparently. As the radiation is still above normal and there is a abnormal rate of bone and birth deformities in there town in belarus. Polina my ex said her parents told her about it and they were kept in the dark for weeks before learning the truth. Apparently in belarus the authorites slaughtered loads of live stock and food was hard to come by amd had to be shipped in from further afield as most of the stuff growing in belarus and ukraine was too contaminated. It really led to bad poverty that was hidden from the west. her dad decided to seek a job in Moldova in a steel wire factory. He got the job and thats when they left ukraine with my ex born in moldova in 92. Polinas dad use to say though that it wasnt chernobyl that they worried about now but asbestos that most of the soviet high rises in chisinau were full of.

Reply to Chernobyl does anyone remember it? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net