Discuss Chernobyl does anyone remember it? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Makes me worry cuz I was in Moscow when it went meltdown

Now that's a councidence, so were me and yer Mum.

What do u mean buzz
Chernobyl does anyone remember it? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
no kin then:rolleyes:

You want to try VR tour of Prypyat if you cannot go to the real thing, it is extremely disturbing seeing a ghost town taken back by nature.

You want to try VR tour of Prypyat if you cannot go to the real thing, it is extremely disturbing seeing a ghost town taken back by nature.

Agree with that, I've watched loads of videos about it on YouTube. Wouldn't like to get dumped there on a dark night.

I visited Loch Buie on the Isle of Mull a couple of years later, and it was clear that some fallout had had an effect there on the livestock and the ground-cover.

For anybody that is remotely interested!:D
Since the 1st atomic test at Alamogordo in New Mexico, there have been more than 2000 other tests. There have been over 200 small to large accidents at nuclear facilities since we have started tinkering with the atom. Currently there are more than 400 nuclear reactors in operation around the world. Not counting the ones floating around in space powering satellites etc. 65 new ones are under construction and another 165 in the planning stages.

Radiation is different from things like poison in that it does not accumulate within the body. What determines your odds of survival from radiation poisoning is primarily your livers ability to break down the poison. The reason not everyone dies at the same dose is because of the variations of each person's body. As the dosage is increased the odds of surviving becomes smaller and smaller until you reach the limit of what the body can process. At a certain point you will have a dosage that no human can survive. Most low dosed ionization radiation poisoning presents itself in the form of cataracts in the eyes, smaller brains, malformation of sperm or complete sterility. So if your best buddy down below is rotted away at an alarming rate, you now know why.:)

Now, with radiation it's not a matter of health, but purely an exercise of luck. Alpha, beta, and gamma radiation all damage the body in the same way. When a particle or a wave collides with your DNA in such a way that the cell can not survive or it disrupts sequencing then that will cause cancer. We're exposed to the cosmic background radiation every day and each individual particle/wave of radiation in your everyday life is no more or less dangerous than the radiation from a nuclear bomb. Imagine you're laying on a football field and someone in the stands is blindly throwing needles onto the field. It's unlikely that the needles will hit you, and even less likely that the needles would kill you. However if you have say 100000 people each throwing needles onto the field it becomes much more likely that you will get hit by one and likewise more likely that one of the needles will hit you in such a way as to be fatal. Because this is a matter of luck and not a matter of health there is no hypothetical limit to the number of needles that can be thrown onto the field, or the amount radiation a person can survive. Your odds of survival may be infinitesimally small, but there will never be a point where the odds of dying are exactly 100%. Caveat to that being the point where the radiation itself imparts so much energy into your body that you are physically torn apart or burn up. But if you're ever in that position there are probably a dozen or so other things which would have already killed you, so I wouldn't worry about it.:)

And just as a little side note. The technology for the MRI scanner was developed at CERN, and uses radioactive material that comes straight out of nuclear facilities. And if they weren’t using it inside the scanner at the hospitals, it would be deemed nuclear waste.:)

And just as a little side note. The technology for the MRI scanner was developed at CERN, and uses radioactive material that comes straight out of nuclear facilities. And if they weren’t using it inside the scanner at the hospitals, it would be deemed nuclear waste.:)
I would agree with the statistically affective nature of ionising radiation.

However MRI scanners use a technology adapted from a chemical analysis technique, Nuclear magnetic resonance, this is the application of high power magnetic fields and an oscillating radio frequency to affect the energy state of the spin of protons, what part of this contains nuclear material?
An MRI scan does not emit or use ionising radiation as part of the measurements.

Just following on from Kamikaze's post .. Radiation poisoning is actually an oxymoron as he goes on to explain, to add to his post and the points he made - when our bodies cells divide and multiply they do so with an inbuilt timer for there own demise IE a death switch, this ensures the coded sequence is kept as good as it can be and genetic errors in the dividing are not continuously repeated - radiation is a double whammy as it can damage the genetic code and also switch off the natural kill switch of cells which leads to many annoying or life threatening issues.
Cancer is just that and is caused by several factors from the solar radiation (skin cancer often a result), environmental factors, chemical/toxin exposure through to good old genetic flaws passed down to you.
Many people see cancer as some form of disease they catch but it is more so there own bodies genetic code been damaged and replicating the damage until it is either stopped or leads to ones demise.

Just following on from Kamikaze's post .. Radiation poisoning is actually an oxymoron as he goes on to explain, to add to his post and the points he made - when our bodies cells divide and multiply they do so with an inbuilt timer for there own demise IE a death switch, this ensures the coded sequence is kept as good as it can be and genetic errors in the dividing are not continuously repeated - radiation is a double whammy as it can damage the genetic code and also switch off the natural kill switch of cells which leads to many annoying or life threatening issues.
Cancer is just that and is caused by several factors from the solar radiation (skin cancer often a result), environmental factors, chemical/toxin exposure through to good old genetic flaws passed down to you.
Many people see cancer as some form of disease they catch but it is more so there own bodies genetic code been damaged and replicating the damage until it is either stopped or leads to ones demise.
Thanks for that interesting lecture DW:):rolleyes:o_O lol

Woke up early pete, was bored just occupying my time before I jumped up and went to work... yep! sliding off topic I guess. :relaxed:

Woke up early pete, was bored just occupying my time before I jumped up and went to work... yep! sliding off topic I guess. :relaxed:
Are you boasting ? jumped up, I have to be prised up, either that or the fear of peeing myself, the bed has a better glue than that Gorilla stuff they flog in the DIY outlets.

Not an expert by any stretch but one of the cancers I had was viral.
5% of the population have this virus but they do not know what triggers it to become cancerous.

nevermind chernobyl, who remembers fukishima? the almost unsolvable disaster
Chernobyl may not be as disasterous as Fukishima, but it was misery for thousands of people, and still is to this day, so please don't dimiss it so lightly.

Chernobyl may not be as disasterous as Fukishima, but it was misery for thousands of people, and still is to this day, so please don't dimiss it so lightly.
i still remember videos of farmers having to scrape the soil off their land and stuff, im not saying it wasnt a disaster, but it was contained relatively quickly, fukishima is a whole different beast though, reactors built on the shoreline of a tsunami risk area, what could go wrong went wrong, were never going to recover those reactor cores that are slowly making their way through the earths crust

the millions of gallons of sea water contaminated then stored in towers that leak heavily into the ocean , some of the waste water is pumped directly into the sea

we know enough about radiation to know that this is not beneficial for any living being, have a look at a documentary about the wildlife post chernobyl

someone should point all the scrap metal thieves to all the metal sitting around in pripyat? a fortune to be made there shirley, first one to the elephants foot wins!

What part of this contains nuclear material?
An MRI scan does not emit or use ionising radiation as part of the measurements.

I haven’t got a Scooby Doo. A scientist friend once upon a time told me that and I’ve never had a reason to doubt her. I’m more than happy to reclassify my comment from “True” to “Probably True” until I’ve had a chance to check out that statement. I still see her from time to time, so if I remember, I will ask her for more information. I’ve been in the CERN archives but this was fruitless. The research is probably stored under some other name.

I visited Loch Buie on the Isle of Mull a couple of years later, and it was clear that some fallout had had an effect there on the livestock and the ground-cover.
Must have been a radiation leak in the 17th century, looking at the locals.........

Reply to Chernobyl does anyone remember it? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock