Discuss Children paying "keep" when earning ... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Should the parent charge the child to live at home?

• Yes

• Yes - but keep the money to give back to them later

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
O

Octopus

So this isn't us............. just a scenario close to us

Mum earns £15K

18 year old son about to start work earning £20K

Should the parent charge "keep" to live at home?

I'm off to the pub shortly, so will update you with what the mum plans to do tomorrow

Yes. He should at least be paying his mum enough money to cover the cost of food shops, 50% of the electricity, gas, water and council tax bills, all of which he can easily afford on a salary of £20,000, and be grateful that he's not being charged any rent and still getting his dinners cooked for him and having his washing and ironing done for free.

Agree. With the sentiments thus far... earning 20k he can afford to rent somewhere with all those expenses, so by living at home he is saving a small fortune. no doubt will say hes saving for a deposit etc... but even if charged £50 a week for his keep, he is still on to a good thing.
Its not just a respect for your parents thing, its a lesson in life that things cost money and the fridge does not magically restock itself with food each week.
My parents did not charge us anything whilst still studying but once we left and started working then we all had to pay something. I stopped when I joined the forces aged 17.

agree with above. rent free, but pay for food and a share of the bills. or buy him/her a tent and a rucksack.

My Son took the p*** at his Mums on 50K a year. She told me, and she was up against it. I met him and said "Are you looking after your Mum?" Mum calls a couple of weeks later and is amazed at the change in him. He took his Mum and sister to California for Xmas and pays his share and carries his weight. This is from a Son who said to me at 40, "Dad I would never dream of cheeking you" Actually if it were me I would take the money and save it for them but not tell them. I expect people to bring something to the table and pull their weight. That means no rent free, no free food, no free council tax and so on on 20k a year they need to learn how to budget and prioritise spending.

I would have said it depends on the situation, but £20k seems a lot for an 18 year old to be earning, so he could afford to move out, or alternatively pay a nominal rent.

When I was 18 I hadn't been prepared for the idea of apprenticeships and my parents wouldn't pay for me to go to university so I was stuck in minimum wage jobs for the next 7 years; when I was 18 and all I could get was part time pub jobs on about £8k a year my mother didn't dare charge me to sleep on a mattress in my childhood room while my dad was paying her for me to do so. I still bought my own food and bog roll and paid my share of the council tax.

I'd say this kid has a pretty cushy deal, and if he doesn't like it he has the means to move out.

You would get around 16.8k net with 20k. Equal to 1.3 k ish a month. Average rent in the real world at best in London is 600-800 per month. That is before council tax energy bills and food never mind having fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are various ways of thinking about this, charge them if you supply the food, internet, washing and ironing etc etc as then it will teach them a life skill, charge them you could then keep 50% of the money they pay you in a separate bank account for when they suddenly decide to buy their own place and give it back to them.

Personally I'd spunk it all on a nice holiday or a sports car..........

I like SparkChicks suggestion myself. Depending on their costings. I would think £100-150 a week DD into a separate account would be a way to save up for them for when they get their own place, but it would also get them used to having some form of bill for living expenses, in preparation for when they do leave the nest.

If they don’t do that and end up having a £20k lifestyle then they may find it difficult to see the ability to go solo later on.

Talking to a lot of youngsters they do not give keep money to their parents.
I think it’s terrible,my daughter gave us money until she left home.
I certainly gave my mum & dad money,started of in the 70’s £3 ,it got up to £25 before I left.
It’s respect & nothing is for nothing.

She definitely ought to take something off him in order to prepare him for life .I've seen well meaning parents before that are perhaps in a position not to need a contribution and I can honestly say that it doesn't really do their offspring any good living for free. Imo it breeds a something for nothing culture and often leads to a life of financial irresponsibility. Sometimes what appears to be harsh is the kindest thing to do for your kids

9dc2f16f462026356da9bca415d1b55d.jpg

Reply to Children paying "keep" when earning ... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net