Discuss Children paying "keep" when earning ... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Should the parent charge the child to live at home?

• Yes

• Yes - but keep the money to give back to them later

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have seen this with my Son and Mother, they always are a soft touch and no doubt always will be. Classic thing the Father telling Mother "you are not doing that boy any favours carrying him like that" but they wont do it, too soft.

agree with most above posts, but always remember that you need to be nice to your kids. after all, it's them that chooses your nursing home.

And she has a house / car / other child to pay for ...........

Parents like this do not "help" their children in any way, shape or form....

Agreed. Little wonder so many young people these days have a sense of entitlement. What I find most nauseating is the fact that the son doesn't appear to have offered to pay for his upkeep or make any contribution to the household bills. How mean, inconsiderate and selfish is that?

What has been revealed here makes me wonder just how many of the fresh-faced young boys in the Glasgow area who charge pocket-money prices to undercut other electrical contractors can do so because they're still living at home with parent(s) and not paying anything for their keep. Quite a few, I would imagine.

But sooner or later, all of these privileged youths are going to have step outside of the bubble into the real-world, and boy oh boy, are they in for a mighty rude awakening when that day finally arrives.

And I’m going to make sure he starts paying into a pension too ....

Your boy is fortunate to have responsible parents. I'm sure that the important life-lessons that you're teaching him now will be of great benefit in the future.

agree with most above posts, but always remember that you need to be nice to your kids. after all, it's them that chooses your nursing home.
If you have enough capital you can threaten to move in with that 25 year old Romanian female hooker (not like that dodgy ex English priest) the kids will be looking after you sharpish as they don't want the ÂŁ1m inheritance disappearing on fake tans and fake nails.......

I've just gone through exactly the same with my eldest son. We started with an arrangement that he was supposed to pay a percentage of his income towards his keep but it didn't work very well because he just pestered his Mom for money later in the month after he'd blown his wad. She obviously felt guilty he had no money after she'd received cash off him at the beginning of the month.

I changed the rules slightly and decided he can just pay the ISP internet connection bill every month. He's the one who uses 90% of the bandwidth and he pays it direct so we don't actually take any hard cash off him. If he doesn't pay it then he's the one who suffers (along with his younger brother) because both me and wifey have 50 gigs of hi speed mobile data on our mobile phones so it doesn't affect us.

When his income increases over time I'll make another one of the household bills his responsibility until such a time comes when he's basically paying his own way and hopefully it won't be such a big additional financial step to move out......

My son takes home on average ÂŁ1100 per month. He buys the majority of his meat but I provide everything else. I charge him ÂŁ400 a month keep to cover his rent, other groceries (eg toilet roll, cleaning stuff etc) broadband, TV and Netflix, Amazon, NowTV rental and other utilities. Internet search shows this to about the norm.

That's not unrealistic of what he'd have to pay if he was renting his own place. As it happens he's about to move out tomorrow and share a flat with a work colleague for which he's going to pay ÂŁ380 per month plus his groceries, so not much difference from now.

Charging a realistic amount like this (which is irregardless of what the parent earns) is a good lesson for them and an introduction to the real world.

I've seen it mentioned that, where they can afford to do so, the parents charge this amount of keep but save it and when the child moves out, gives them the saved amount to help them perhaps buy their own place.

I do work for a private landlord and he’s renting bedsits out for £325 a month with communal kitchen.
To use appliances you have to pay lol

And it would be considered a lot lower to live in Norn Iron than the mainland.

When I started work I paid 20% of my take home salary to my mum, as I got pay rises so did my mum.
Charging kids for their keep teaches a valuable lesson about costs and budgeting, nothing stopping you banking the money and returning it as a deposit or funding day a kitchen/bathroom - don't give cash as they'll just buy a new phone, car and holiday...

When I started work in '69 I worked two shifts in an engineering factory. 8-5 then 6-2 each day five days a week. I got the princely sum of ÂŁ7.50p per week. At home was my Mother, Sister and Brother who I kept with this wage beleive it or not. Doesn't even seem possible to me now thinking about it. But that was the reality back then. Never mind paying keep!

Reply to Children paying "keep" when earning ... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net