Discuss Chint Consumer Units in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I like Schneider, mainly due to the fact that's what most of our customers want as a lot of their old systems were built around Merlin Gerin.

However we do see a lot of Chint being used as well as Proteus due to cost, IMHO they should be burnt at the stake...

And someone really loves Chint on the end of suite DC supplies... 60 ways in each rack so down to cost.

Chint Consumer Units Hemel 017.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

They are absolutely identical to MCG is you have ever bought them from CEF if that gives you an idea, produced in the same place and everything breaker were a perfect match

I'm pretty certain that Chint and MCG are thrown out of the same factory. I've spent the last two years stripping plastic Chint DB's out of installations that were being done by a cowboy spending the least and working the least. I know that sounds like a good business model, but you have to install appropriate equipment and install it in an appropriate manner, this rubbish did neither. So, when I see Chint, I think of that guy.

The MD of one factory firm, where I do a lot of work, has me doing work at his house. They had an extension built, electrics done via the main contractor's spark. Really top notch looking kitchen with quite a large Lutron lighting control system....the beez neez ,as far as they were concerned, and cost a fortune. He asked me over to do a small job and asked my opinion. I said 'let's have a look at the CU. Previously, I'd installed RCBO's in the exiting Hager board. It had been replaced with a large Chint double RCD board.

The RCBO's taken out were worth more than the new board. Pure cheek!

...but it worked ok, so where's the problem?:(

Have to say, at £16 ea inc VAT for CHINT rcbos I am a fan.
Their boards aren't the best, but neither is anything else these days.
Even my old favorite of choice MEM Memshield 2 has gone downhill since Memshield 3 came out. Havells (India) do boards that are in every way Identical to the old Memshield 2 range and no wonder, MEM's Design Engineer left to go and work for them because he was disgusted at how the beancounters had pared down the quality of the new Memshield 3 range.
Square D/Schneider? Nice, but overpriced for what they are. Have you seen how little copper there is in modern CUs compared to an old Wylex BS3036 board?
Makes one wonder what all the expense of these new boards is all about.
Less for more seems to be the new maxim.

Reply to Chint Consumer Units in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock