Discuss Choosing the correct ballast? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a job to repair a light in office, 1200x600 grid tile fitting, I am under the impression it's the ballast that has gone, I couldn't get access to the fitting at the time but believe the lamps to T8 lamps 4x 30w (3ft) what ballast would I need for this??? Assuming it's the old magnetic ballast that is, however out of curiosity if I went for the high frequency ballast which one would I need is this?

No it's not awkward to do just couldn't gain access at the time on inspection, I see what your saying but he has lots of light in his office, so and this would stand out unless I changed them all, I know he wouldn't want to go down that route, just looking for the ballast really that would be suitable for this,

Welcome to the forum.
The specification you give is somewhat unusual; a 1200 x 600 would usually take 4*x 36W T8 in an old fitting.
If you have not seen the light, tested the light or got the specification for the ballasts and lamps required then it is probably a bit early to have identified the fault and be deciding on which ballast you need.
Often these lights have two ballasts, one for each set of two lamps, but you would need to verify this before planning your replacement.
The choice of magnetic or electronic ballast would be up to you but often the mounting holes will not line up with whatever you buy, so prepare for having to fix the ballast in place securely in the often limited space available.
Alternatively, Marvo's suggestion eliminates a lot of these problems and just requires rewiring of the fitting to bypass the ballast.

As above, you need to see it close up, there's too many variables.

Is there a working module somewhere less noticeable you could swop and put Led in it's place.?
Whatever you put in it'll stand out to some extent even if it's like for like ballasts and new tubes. HF will stand out over non HF.

I have a job to repair a light in office, 1200x600 grid tile fitting, I am under the impression it's the ballast that has gone, I couldn't get access to the fitting at the time but believe the lamps to T8 lamps 4x 30w (3ft) what ballast would I need for this??? Assuming it's the old magnetic ballast that is, however out of curiosity if I went for the high frequency ballast which one would I need is this?
Simon , what has given you the impression that the ballast is U/S?

Welcome to the forum.
The specification you give is somewhat unusual; a 1200 x 600 would usually take 4*x 36W T8 in an old fitting.
If you have not seen the light, tested the light or got the specification for the ballasts and lamps required then it is probably a bit early to have identified the fault and be deciding on which ballast you need.
Often these lights have two ballasts, one for each set of two lamps, but you would need to verify this before planning your replacement.
The choice of magnetic or electronic ballast would be up to you but often the mounting holes will not line up with whatever you buy, so prepare for having to fix the ballast in place securely in the often limited space available.
Alternatively, Marvo's suggestion eliminates a lot of these problems and just requires rewiring of the fitting to bypass the ballast.

Well I did look into this and the 4ft lamps are around 1215mm in length, wouldn't this be to big for the 1200mm x 600mm module? Well the guy has changed the lamps he said and the starters and still doesn't work. Can only assume it's will be the ballast, there are 2 ballasts as you said 2 lamps per one, if they are 3ft 30watts each what wattage ballast would i need and same with the 4ft 36watts? (But surely the lamps would be to long for the fittings itself?

the fittings are > 1200 in length as they overhang the grid by a bit.otherwise they.d fall through..

Well I did look into this and the 4ft lamps are around 1215mm in length, wouldn't this be to big for the 1200mm x 600mm module? Well the guy has changed the lamps he said and the starters and still doesn't work. Can only assume it's will be the ballast, there are 2 ballasts as you said 2 lamps per one, if they are 3ft 30watts each what wattage ballast would i need and same with the 4ft 36watts? (But surely the lamps would be to long for the fittings itself?
If you search for 1200 x 600 modular T8 fluorescent then you will find most are 36W tubes. There is normally hardly enough room to get the tube in place.
Magnetic chokes are becoming harder to get now but you would want a 36/40W choke like this.
For a twin system with HF electronic ballast you would be looking for a 2x36W electronic ballast like this, however they come in different sizes from different manufacturers and you would need to ensure you have space.
I do not know where you would get 2x30W ballasts but you can google it.
Check what you need first.

I've changed far too many fluors and you will find sometimes in 4' tubes there is one ballast. If one tube is not in correctly the rest wont work. Getting the bi pins to the precise position (quarter turn) is an art especially on older fittings. Also quite often it is easy to put in the wrong starter. And getting a quality starter is another little trick. It may be the tubes were not put in correctly or the starters are crap such as FSU universal starters which seem to work with nothing. There are different types of starters for single and double ballast tubes. I find Crompton s10 and s16 fairly reliable and seem to work ok. Denmans starters are a waste of time. So having checked that, personally I don't replace ballasts by the time I have fecked about taking out and getting the right ballast and putting it in to find it all still does not work as the end caps are damaged and the time to do it etc. it is cheaper to replace the whole fitting. In my case we have a store and plenty of fittings, high freq. to replace the older starter types. We are not allowed to put in old starter types due to someone suing for epileptic fits caused by a flashing/failing tube as H.F. fittings don't do that. Right that's enough now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Choosing the correct ballast? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock