Discuss Choosing the Generator For The Load in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sumner

I need to provide a generator to site.
Do I check the current rating of all the
equipment to be used at this site (It
isn't a large site), total them up and
look for a generator with that load
capacity? Is it that simple or am I
missing something?

√0=whatever you want!

I asked a simple question. You fancy yourself as some
super-duper engineer, well carry on - if I ever need any
information about anything please don't bother yourself.
I don't need help from people like you.

Well it's plainly obvious you know little to nothing about generators, coming out with that general statement!! lol!!
And how is your comment helpful to my question?
All I can see on this forum is people trying to be better than others. Christ I asked a question! I only want answers, not bitches!

Load should be less than 70% of KA rating of the gen set. Sets arn't designed to run at 100% for any length of time

So, whatever load I have - that's totaling all the current ratings AND the start-up loads x the voltage - then I should add 30% and that would be the size of Gen I need?

So, whatever load I have - that's totaling all the current ratings AND the start-up loads x the voltage - then I should add 30% and that would be the size of Gen I need?

Taking notice of Jerry H and you'll be asking for trouble!!

Give us a bit more information on the loads and amount of loads etc, your talking about, and you may find people to offer some advise. From what your saying (assuming) were only talking about a relatively small single figure KVA rated portable generator. Which by the way will have completely different working characteristics etc, to (for want of a better title) a proper generator!! ..lol!!

At this point in time I have no figures. I'm looking for a simple formula that will help me when I DO need to select a generator, to work out what I need. All I do know is that the Gen will be feeding probably, single-phase, 230v circuits, a water pump, lighting maybe a couple of sockets. And I'm not even certain of that!

It depends too much on the sort of equipment being powered. You will need to try and identify the heavier gear that may need to be supplied for longer periods such as water pumps, cabin heating, site flood-lighting at night and god knows what else. You may in addition be able to apply some level of diversity for other more occasionally used equipment.

Really without an idea of the type of site and it's size there are too many variables to come up with a quick formula.

At this point in time I have no figures. I'm looking for a simple formula that will help me when I DO need to select a generator, to work out what I need. All I do know is that the Gen will be feeding probably, single-phase, 230v circuits, a water pump, lighting maybe a couple of sockets. And I'm not even certain of that!

When you say site, ...are we talking about a construction site, if not what sort of site are we talking about?? Until you can provide a better loading requirement, we can't offer any meaningful suggestions on what sort of generator, ...and therefore any simple formula's you can use.
Example, some generators are only good for work tools and the like, and are ''Not'' for use with say household or commercial appliances...

Get our troops out of Afghanistan! But leave this idiot behind.

How in the name of god did you get to be in a position where you need to specify a generator?

Get outside of your little comfort zone and get a life and keep your nose out of other people's business. Especially mine! Thanked 980 times in 739 posts! Your ego is ginormous, you must love seeing your name on the internet. Well I don't! I'd prefer it if you don't interfere in any questions I may pose on here. If you're typical of the people who do contribute I won't be posing many. Remember I asked for a solution to a problem not an opinion.
If the British people need to get out of anywhere it's the EU! You imbecile!

Reply to Choosing the Generator For The Load in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net