Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Cig Lighter fuses keep blowing in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Jordan

Jordan EF Member

1991 GMC Sonoma compact pickup

So i am guessing the previous owner installed an after market lighter socket as it has an inline fuse behind it. The lighter is also connected to a blade fuse in the fuse box. I checked continuity on the lighter and I have a closed circuit. When I got it the online fuse was five amps. I tried a few AGC fuses until they stopped blowing. The blade fuse is supposed to be 20A so I settled with a 20A AGC behind the lighter. But now when I install the glass fuse, the blade fuse in the fuse box blows! What is happening here? I thought this would be simple....

2. mickfred

mickfred Regular EF Member

Check there is not a screen or paperclip fell down it

3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    what rating is the blade fuse ? 10A is normal for a cig. lighter . also, see if it blows with the lighter part out of socket.

4. Jordan

Jordan EF Member

The blade fuse is 20 and that’s also what the manual says to use. The socket is clear of debris and has no lighter to put in it. (I just want to use it to power devices)

5. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

If you have a closed circuit on the lighter, then you have a short circuit.
    Should be open circuit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jordan

Jordan EF Member

Well I mean to say the positive and negative are hooked up nice and clean

7. spinlondon

Taking your multimeter, remove the in line fuse and insert one of the probes. Place the other probe in contact with a known ground/earth and check for continuity.
    If there is continuity, there is a short circuit.
    No continuity, there should be no problem.

I take it that the 20A blade fuse does not blow until the in line glass fuse is inserted?

8. Jordan

Jordan EF Member

Great thanks I will try that tonight. And yes, blade fuse blows only when tube fuse is inserted.

9. spinlondon

That suggests, the wiring up to the fuse holder is ok.

10. Jordan

Jordan EF Member

So would that mean it’s just the socket doing this for some reason? It’s definitely clear of debris

11. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    if you check for continuity from the lighter side of the in line fuse holder and the body of the lighter you should get open circuit.if it's a low ohms reading, then the lighter socket is buggered.