Discuss Circuit ID in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Y

Young & Keen

Hi All,

Does anyone know a decent and reliable cable locator and a circuit identifying device? I've got a BIG job coming up id'ing all of the circuits in each of our 11 DB's on site and would like to know if there is a modern way of doing it rather than the prehistoric way of switching MCB's off and hoping for the best (ie. avoiding the switching off of servers etc). Somebody mentioned that some of them are unreliable because if cables are too close together such as in a tray, the signal sent down the cable can travel down an adjacent circuit.

Also, need a decent cable and stud locator if anyone can help with that? Was looking at the Bosch version but it only detects live cables at a depth of 3.5cm which is no good to anyone looking for cables in partitions!!

You need to check it it will do the job I had one that only worked when the other circuits were turned off ! due to the signal going though the bus bar in the DB and onto the other circuits so was no good for tracing out .

Never used fuse finder , obviously there has been times one could have been useful .
Robstar
Would using a twin skt with patteras , plug fuse finder one skt and this in other Circuit ID ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386354087.901029 - EletriciansForums.net
And these
Circuit ID ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386354135.614523 - EletriciansForums.net
Would it help you out to find circuits without SO's ? Just a thought, like I say never used fuse finder ?

Why not just trace and locate your server supply and any other circuits you can't turn off (or better still gain permission to turn off due to inconvenience )
I take it that there are no life support circuits ?
You could even recommend the server be backed up and conduct your test out off hours if it doesn't disturb your life patten lol.
I had a metrel Mft that had an option of a fuse finder attachment. Not sure how it worked as didn't have it.
An Apprentice is another option, gets them off the routine of messing installs up

I've got a cheap and cheerful one from CPC and it works well.

Plug in the sender, hold the button on the tracer and scan it across the MCBs reveals lots of possibles, keep the button pressed and scan again reduces the number of possibles, the third pass should reveal the one you are plugged into.
I got this for a large office block I had to test and it saved so much time and worry. The sender also works as a polarity checker with sounder,always useful!

Switch off each cicuit at a time and wait for the screams the powers gone off

:32: :oops: :shocked3: :wazzzup: thats one way

Fuse finders are great for convenience but I wouldn't consider them as proof. Switching off at the MCB and proving dead is the only sure way.

Switch off each cicuit at a time and wait for the screams the powers gone off

:32: :oops: :shocked3: :wazzzup: thats one way

Best method! Never did find out where an 800A feeder went. It wasn't to where it said it did. That bit of kit had been demolished 25 years earlier. I gave up and left it off.

Reply to Circuit ID in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock