Discuss Circuit removal council wants a cert? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DHES

Hi all
I have been asked to remove an immersion heater circuit from an airing cupboard in a bathroom but the client has said the council wants a certificate once the work is complete.
FYI the client is in a council house but has had the ok to remove the immersion tank and cupboard so she can have a larger bathroom hence the councils involvement.
I have my elecsa assessment on the 29 nov so notification could be a problem before then.
What would be your advice as I am not sure how (or what cert) I can certify a removed circuit?
Thanks in advance:)
Darren

whatever cert. you use, you can notify through elecsa. there is not a specific cert. for removal of a circuit. maybe a MWC would do, but there would be no test results to enter.

Thanks
So do you no tthink the council will mind me not being approved ie working in a bathroom has to be notified and the assessment date is over 30 days away?

Does a removal of a circuit warrant part P notification? I wouldn't notify it, you are working in a bathroom but you're not carrying out installation work.

agreed. you don't have to MOT a car if you're scrapping it.

I kind of new the answer but the thing that threw me was the council asking for a cert.
Then I started thinking about notifying

It's fairly common with local authorities. They need traceability, and although what you are going to do doesn't need notifying or any particular certification, the work in itself does need to be carried out by competent persons (isolation procedures etc). The councils request for certification can assure them that the work was carried out by such a person and not the tenant.

While you're at it, offer to dispose of the tank as part of the service..... Then straight down to the scrap merchant :icon10:
Given how the theft of copper is frequently in the news these days, you'd be hard pressed to find a customer who does not know that these thing have a scrap value, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

Write a letter detailing what you've done and sign it. You cannot use any certificate as you cannot possibly certify that the work complies with BS 7671 given that you haven't carried out any electrical installation work.

or do a MWC and in the details of the modified circuit enter 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

or do a MWC and in the details of the modified circuit enter 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

Seems to me a misuse of the MEIWC. It declares the minimum required tests and certifies that the work complies with BS 7671:2008. Personally I would be inclined to write on a piece of paper that I hereby certify that --- circuit has been completely and safely removed and cannot become energised, Signed, Dated or something like that. Can't see why that wouldn't keep them happy. If they persist then tell them that it cannot be issued on any BS 7671 model paperwork.

Reply to Circuit removal council wants a cert? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net