• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss CIS help in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

ben2012

Ok you will have to bear with me here, I started up as a sole trader in oct 2013 prior to that PAYE for another company, now I've just taken on a job with a friend of mine and once we looked at the job we decided we needed more men to help out, we priced for it all and decided I would invoice the construction company we are working for and then in turn the guys helping us out would invoice me. After submitting the first invoice it became apparent about the CI scheme which I'd never had anything to do with before. It seems it's going to cause a real headache sorting payments out between everyone, is their a way around this where by the company can just pay me my invoice fully and then we sort out our own tax etc? Sorry for being so long winded! :)

This is a grey area to me. Id like to know too!!

My assuption was that you get all money and its taxed, then you tax again when paying subby and it gets sorted out in tax return.

Upvote 0
Hi I think the order it goes is you invoice company they take off 20% for cis. Your sub contractors invoice you take 20% if they have utr, 30% if they don't, off there invoices for cis. Then pay them. Don't think there is any harm in just paying them there invoice if you know all stub contractors.

Upvote 0
or do what most small traders do and ignore it.... or submit separate invoices to the client.

CIS is why so much cash swills around construction. Its all very well for a large project but for getting a mate or 2 to help for a couple of days - stupidity.

Upvote 0
Ok you will have to bear with me here, I started up as a sole trader in oct 2013 prior to that PAYE for another company, now I've just taken on a job with a friend of mine and once we looked at the job we decided we needed more men to help out, we priced for it all and decided I would invoice the construction company we are working for and then in turn the guys helping us out would invoice me. After submitting the first invoice it became apparent about the CI scheme which I'd never had anything to do with before. It seems it's going to cause a real headache sorting payments out between everyone, is their a way around this where by the company can just pay me my invoice fully and then we sort out our own tax etc? Sorry for being so long winded! :)
yup, you need to turn over 30,000 in labour and then you can apply for the equivelnt of a CIS 6 which is gross payments. This would mean all main contractors have to pay you without deductions, however you still need to stop 20% or 30% depending on the subcontractors tax reference or lack of it

Upvote 0

Reply to CIS help in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back