• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Cis

Discuss Cis in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys looking for some help to save me hours on a phone to HRMC as i can't find the answer online... ok here goes and i hope its not to rambled

I do a £10,000 job for a main contractor ( labour only) he stops me £2000 under the CIS scheme simple.... now i get a little lost because my Sub contractor will bill me say £1000 to keep it simple i now have to stop his tax on already taxed income, so technically i'm paying 40% tax on the £1000.00

Is this right ? and how is this offset ?

Glen

I'm not in CIS but to me you are invoicing for £1000 + £9000 and having £200 + £1800 deducted.

You've already paid your Subby's tax to your Main contractor.
The £200 you deduct from your Subby, you keep, but must have to document it somehow.

Upvote 0
You're not paying anything on the tax you deduct from your subby. He is paying this 20%. You only pay him 80% and hand the 20% over to HMRC so you only lose 20% once.

Of course if your turnover is high enough and you meet the other two tests then you could apply for gross payment status.

Upvote 0
For CIS the max they can deduct is 30% on labour only. If you register with HMRC you have the option of the following providing your turnover is more than 30k. Either 20% deduction on labour or no deduction however you have to speak to HMRC and agree then and register otherwise 30% will be deductible

Upvote 0

Reply to Cis in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back