Discuss citroen berlingo jump start problem in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Our Citroen Berlingo needed to be jump started the other day but when connecting the jump leads they were connected the wrong way round for a few seconds. After switching them around the car jump started no problem. But now the radio has no stations and the time is flashing yet it wont allow us to set time or stations so there's no noise coming from radio, also the reverse parking sensors have stopped working at the same time. Cant see any blown fuses. Any ideas what could of happened and what to do ?

should also add that aswell as radio flashing on the top heads display its also stopped the functions of the Bluetooth, trip computer, fuel consumption etc. even following the instruction in the manual for setting stations the buttons have no affect. have tried disconnecting the battery for an hour then reconnecting but had no affect

French vehicle electrics are not known for their reliability and crossing the polarity of the battery obviously has done them no favours.
Could be a number of things, blown fuses, dry solder joints, blown relays, blown circuit boards the list is endless.
Probably best off going to an auto electrician

If the van starts and drives ok, then really you’ve been lucky not to have goosed the ECU!

Was the battery completely flat or was there some power left in it?
Did you get a massive arc when you connected final lead?

Start by disconnecting radio, see if you get an error message (but other things start behaving !)
..Does sound an expensive fix /things can get worst ...
( had weird noises from radio - + leaks )
..My alternator pulley gave me grief -got shot of her..
(Do reversing lights still work ?)

(Battery off clears fuel MPG, takes a while to recalibrate if lucky)

Last edited:
Have you tried a reset? Copied and pasted from another site:

Don't buy a new Bsi (body control unit) for your Citroen until you have read this and tried a factory reset first. Very often the reset will solve a multitude of problems especially the ones that suddenly happened after you fitted a new battery to your Citroen or the ones that just 'appeared' form nowhere!

• Wipers stopped working?
  • Central locking gone mad?
  • Windows stopped working?
  • Indicators and lights doing their own thing?
All of the above can be caused by a nutty BSi and often a reset is all it needs so try this....
  1. Put the driver's window down, lift the bonnet and ensure all equipment is switched off.
  2. Ensure all doors are closed and remove key from the ignition.
  3. Wait for 3 minutes, disconnect the vehicle battery and wait 15 seconds.
  4. Reconnect the vehicle battery, wait a further 10 seconds (do not open doors.).
  5. Switch on the side lights through the driver's window.
  6. Switch on the ignition and check system's functionality.
  7. Hold lock button on key down for 10 seconds.
  8. Remove key open & close door test central locking system.
  9. Start the engine and complete the system's check.
Failure to follow this procedure could result in incorrect operation of many BSI related items.

Disconnect battery for 30 mins reconnected and fire up car and see if the problems persist.

There is a reason Transits are stolen and French turds are left alone.

Disconnect battery for 30 mins reconnected and fire up car and see if the problems persist.

There is a reason Transits are stolen and French turds are left alone.

I have to admit I am a fan of the Berlingo. I have never owned one but I have used one often . They are great on fuel and drive nice.

My mate has a dealership size garage , MOT testing and car sales and we get very few with major problems.

I did ask him about incorrect jump starting as he has a fleet of taxis as well, he says it is usually the alternator the gets goosed . The electronics usually survive.
Things like juicing up aftermarket radios and the like , unless you know what you are doing can cause mini disasters.

I have to admit I am a fan of the Berlingo. I have never owned one but I have used one often . They are great on fuel and drive nice.

My mate has a dealership size garage , MOT testing and car sales and we get very few with major problems.

I did ask him about incorrect jump starting as he has a fleet of taxis as well, he says it is usually the alternator the gets goosed . The electronics usually survive.
Things like juicing up aftermarket radios and the like , unless you know what you are doing can cause mini disasters.
I am also a fan of French women, for one night............. ;o))))

Reply to citroen berlingo jump start problem in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net