Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss City and Guilds 2357 NVQ conversion in the Electrical Courses & Electrical NVQ's area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Tags:
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Ben Murray

Ben Murray EF Member

Business Name:
    Norbeck
    Hi all,
    I have my 2365-03 and the company I work for would like to put me through the 2357 NVQ conversion. I am a project manager for said company and we are mostly a data company wanting to grow the electrical side. I am at the centre of this growth having recently completed my 2396 level 4 design course. The reason for doing the NVQ is mostly for a back up electrician if we are let down or we need something completing in a short space of time.

My query is, am I going to be able to do the NVQ? I can get on site and help with installations but these will mostly be small radial circuits because we don't tender for much more than that at the moment. I don't want to waste my time and their money trying to do something which is going to take years. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I live in Andover and I cannot find any college or company near me that even does the NVQ, closest I have found that will come to jobs near me is in Notingham, any suggestions would also be appreciated.

2. casperLennon

casperLennon Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Raylex electrical
    Use the forum sponsor. Xs training. They don’t visit you they use video calling for everything. They are fantastic

• Like Like x 2
  3. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

There is another course called 2356 NVQ3 ‘mature candidate assessment’ which might be better for you?
    There’s a place near me in Harlow that does it along with the 2357 NVQ3.
    I would imagine there’s lots of places that do the courses closer to you.

4. Ben Murray

Ben Murray EF Member

Business Name:
    Norbeck
    Correct me if I am wrong but I wouldn't put myself in the mature candidate bracket because my on site experience is quite minimal?

5. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

You could be right?
    I don’t have an NVQ and have no personal experience of either of the courses.
    I’ve met people on site who were doing the 2357, and they were all working towards their core electrical qualifications.
    From your post, I assumed you already have core qualifications.

6. Dobes_88

Dobes_88 Jamie Electrician's Arms

If you've been in the game for longer than 5 years you'll be referred to as a "mature candidate", this will enable you to bypass some of the units within the NVQ that an apprentice would have to.

Small radials will be more than enough, you'd be asked to do the radials in different installations (SWA, FP200, singles in conduit, T&E in trunking) - it's all about ticking boxes.

7. Ben Murray

Ben Murray EF Member

Business Name:
    Norbeck
    I have got the 2365 but very little on site experience (as a spark) I have been a data engineer for 10 years. Just taken my 2396 exam, poo a brick that was hard!! If I fail I am put off retaking that for life.