Discuss City and Guilds 2365 advise needed please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gscart

Hello
Does anyone know whether the city and guilds 2365 course is worth doing for someone who has no electrician experience and wants to start a new career as an electrician.

It's just that a friend of mine is a london black cab driver, hate it with a passion and now that the money is completley falling out of the trade he sees it as an opportunity to retrain as an electrician as that's what he should have done before he started the knowledge. The thing is though he is nearing 40, so is wonderng whether the qualification would be any good to him. Will he need to find employment after it, as if so I can't imagine that would be too easy with his age and lack of actual electrician work experience? Would the course be enough for him to work as a domestic plumber? If not can anyone recommend any other routes into the trade?

the 2365 will take him at least 2 - 3 years, then there's nvq3 for which he'll need to be employed in the trade. on top of that there's practical experience. and he might even learn that pi$$ flows downhill. then on the other hand he could do a plumbing course in 5 weeks, start work as a plumber, then progress to get gas qualifications.

Hello
Does anyone know whether the city and guilds 2365 course is worth doing for someone who has no electrician experience and wants to start a new career as an electrician.

It's just that a friend of mine is a london black cab driver, hate it with a passion and now that the money is completley falling out of the trade he sees it as an opportunity to retrain as an electrician as that's what he should have done before he started the knowledge. The thing is though he is nearing 40, so is wonderng whether the qualification would be any good to him. Will he need to find employment after it, as if so I can't imagine that would be too easy with his age and lack of actual electrician work experience? Would the course be enough for him to work as a domestic plumber? If not can anyone recommend any other routes into the trade?

Ooooh...you don't wanna cross over trades,at this time of night,mate...:lol:

...Sorry,couldn't resist it...Get your pal,to come and fill in more details,regarding what he wants to achieve,what experience he has,etc.

There will be more stick...but alongside this,will be some wise words,too.

Good luck.

[h=1]How to become an electrician: a brief overview of training options[/h] How to become an electrician: a brief overview of training options - IET Electrical

The 2365 is a technical certificate and gives a good basis in ideal world electrical theory, including design, I&T, health and safety, and a few good projects to get your teeth stuck into. However hands on is pretty limited to making a few basic circuits, terminating different types of cable and testing your work etc.
The hard part is translating that to the real world, in real properties, planning cable routes and realising that there are times when you need 5 seven foot arms with 3 elbows, tiny hands and an extra leg to maintain balance.

But our tutor did show us electrician vs plumber on YouTube.

Its a good place to start, although you will find it 10 times easier to understand what you are taught at college once you have a few years experience on site. As said by others, things taught in college don't fully portray how things work on site. An NVQ would be the perfect route in my eyes but when i was looking a few years back I found it impossible to get enrolled on one because the employers were only looking for school leavers/under 24s.

I did the 2365 L2 and half of the L3 and then went on to do 2392-10 and 17th edition, but i also have around 7 years experience on site with various different trades so also picked up knowledge that way. I've only just registered as a domestic electrician after all of that and still have a lot to learn if i wish to become an 'approved contractor' which involves working in a commercial/industrial environment in the future..

He could maybe seek some voluntary work for experience? Or I believe there are work experience courses out there but cost a small fortune and are only around around 1-2 weeks long, but you just cant learn enough in that small space of time..

Gor blimey guv and no mistake. Does this imaginary friend of yours who wants to become a sparky have any practical experience for a start? The electrical side of things is just the beginning, he will have to get off his a**e and graft, not just drive round cursing at folk and doing a few detours. sat nav's eh, sodding things.....

Reply to City and Guilds 2365 advise needed please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock