Discuss City and guilds course or jtl apprenticeship? Which one would be more suited for career in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Chris and I'm new to this site and the electrical world. I'm 26 and have started college (a bit late to the party) but after a lot of ups and downs with career paths I believe I'm making the right decision moving to being an electrician.

I'm doing L1 city and guilds electrical installations as I have no prior knowledge. One of the lads mentioned to me about JTL adult apprenticeships, I've been looking into it and not sure whether I should go for it. So many electricians on here state the importance of apprenticeships in comparison to classroom courses. I know I would learn the trade better from an apprenticeship rather than learning from books and mock scenarios.

From what I gather you need to be in full time employment before you're able to start the apprenticeship. That would mean not moving on to city and guilds level 2 or can you carry on the city and guilds quals? Also with no experience I will more than likely find it hard to get that employment.

Does anyone have any experience with jtl? or know what recognised quals you can get during the apprenticeships?

There so much information everywhere I don't know where to turn sometimes

If you did an apprenticeship you would still do the technical units at college but this would be 1 day a week or block release. Then the rest of the week/time you will be working for an employer and gathering site based evidence for your portfolio. Not sure about the adult apprenticeships but the 2357 and 5357 are 3 or 4 years.

Just doing the full time course at college will NOT make you a qualified electrician, however, if you complete the level 2, it may help you find an employer and start the apprenticeship and you could APL some of the units.

But in my view, you need both the technical units and the NVQ to be truly "qualified".

Jay

Hi jay thanks for your reply

I understand I need to gain an nvq L3 and AM2 after college to become fully qualified.
With apprenticeships you can get the nvq and am2 saving a lot of time and money. Also by going through apprenticeships I can gain a lot of experience on the way.
College isn't great but it's a way of getting the quals in order to start employment and to move towards the nvq/am2. It's been difficult to find someone who is willing to take me on a couple days a week.
Iv heard a lot of good stuff about jtl and seems like a good way to gain experience whilst getting the 2365, 2357, nvq and am2.
Getting a level2 qualification would be a good idea to set me up for employment then moving on to apprenticeships, thanks for the advice

Reply to City and guilds course or jtl apprenticeship? Which one would be more suited for career in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock