Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss City centre power. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

It’s not a question but an open discussion.

I’ve had two flats both within .75KM of major 33 / 11KV substations. Both substations equipped with On Load Tap Changes to regulate the voltage to the local supply network.

I worked regular nights at one time, so I would arrive home at 06-20 ish. Fire up the PC and sit down for a drink. By about 06-40 the lights would be dimming, dim even more and then come back to normal brightness. 30 minutes later same thing would happen. On average about 4 times to raise the voltage to the network in a morning. Followed later by stepping down the voltage as the morning went on. It got to the stage where I could near set my watch by the lights in my flat.

Anyone else live in a city centre and noticed this?

I know it happens in rural areas when Farmer Brown fires up the milking parlour, but that’s just VD in the lines.
    I do wish there was a better acronym for Volt Drop!

(PS I do know how OLTC’s work, I asked a senior site engineer to explain how they worked. He did better than that. I was given the drawings and one Sunday afternoon I was given control of 4 X 20MVA transformers to play with so long as I didn’t go + 500V or - 750V of 11000V.)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2012
  2. Jonesy83

Jonesy83 Guest

im about a quarter of a mile from the city center my lights dim around 8pm and were about 100 yards from our substation