Discuss CK Automatic or Irwin Vise Grip Wire Strippers? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The CK ones can't do 1.25mm flex. I have them and this set from Amazon which can handl1 1.5mm flex.

I don't use them for T&E - they make a nice tidy job, but the little time saved I find is lost as the earth sleeving likes to fall off the clean cut. Find them great for stripping the outer sheath off flexes

I use the CK ones pretty much every day and they'll strip the sheath off any T&E up to 6mm, 1mm 3core flex and such like. They'll go straight from that to stripping the cores of alarm cable with no adjustment.

When stripping T&E sheath it is very rare that the unwanted sheath does not pull off easily, even when stripping 18" for CU termination.

I can prep over 70 cores varying from alarm cable to T&E to flex for termination in under 5 minutes. Pull all the cables in to a pre-populated and glanded adaptable box and five minutes of stripping frenzy.

Would not be without them unless I could find a set that will do a 2.5 TQ flex then all my stripping needs would be covered by one tool.

So far the CKs have lasted for two years of daily use and show no signs of failing..

Think these tools are good if you Are panel wiring etc with fine stranded wire, with many multi core cables to strip , they make a perfect strip and never cut into cores , not that you should if you are a skilled electrician
But for everyday sparking a bit OTT in my opinion , but each to their own and why not use them

Think these tools are good if you Are panel wiring etc with fine stranded wire, with many multi core cables to strip , they make a perfect strip and never cut into cores , not that you should if you are a skilled electrician
But for everyday sparking a bit OTT in my opinion , but each to their own and why not use them
Oh and I have the klein ones ( courstesy of company) which I rarely use , but they do a good job when I do venture in a panel with hundreds of cores facing me

I prefer to use not snips/side cutters but what we call crops or shears think the trade name is , the ones with the curved cutting edges , can’t beat them in my personal opinion

I found them to be no use for fine stranded wire.
Squashed the insulation and cut into the cores.

Hi I went out and took a gamble on the CK Automatic Strippers because they were going for £15.45 at my local Toolstation.

They cut the sheathing off 2.5T&E without any issues and I can do whatever length I like if I remove the stop guide.

I have to say that I am impressed and they will save me a lot of time and protect me from gouging my hands.

The only downside is that the cutter is not too great and they tend to leave jaw marks on the cable.

I'm not a professional sparky so this tool is a god send when it comes to removing cable insulation and getting up to speed.

They will certainly do for now.

Here are some pics.

CK Automatic or Irwin Vise Grip Wire Strippers? cks - EletriciansForums.net

CK Automatic or Irwin Vise Grip Wire Strippers? IMAG0598 - EletriciansForums.net

Jaw marks on the cables.

these style of strippers will always leave jaw marks. as long as the don't cause any damage or compromise the integrity of the sheath, no problem.

these style of strippers will always leave jaw marks. as long as the don't cause any damage or compromise the integrity of the sheath, no problem.

That's what I was thinking.

They leave 4 teeth marks on the cable but I don't think that they are deep enough to compromise its integrity.

It just looks less attractive than not using one if you see what I mean.

much neater than a ragged end of the sheath after the tug the cpc and carve the sheath method though.

much neater than a ragged end of the sheath after the tug the cpc and carve the sheath method though.
I agree...but with the tug the cpc method 2mm bore earth sleeving is easy to put on and it stays on as it has sheath to hold it in place. With the wire strippers I found it to always be falling off

I personally recommend the CK strippers. They are great quality and very reliable, working from 6mm CSA down to 1mm CSA perfectly.

have both the CK and the Klein. not that much in them but Klein just have the edge .only gripe with both is that silly strip gauge. gets in the way. best ripped out.

Much, much less time than using a knife. And zero chance of nicking the insulation.
Depends entirely on what sort of knife you use, I would agree with you if you used a Stanley type blade, but I have been using a folding knife since day one of my electrician life, and apart from the odd mistake when I was an Apprentice, I have had no slip ups, but what ever rocks your boat.

While I agree there is no chance of nicking the insulation with the automatic strippers, with certain T&E it can not only strip the outer sheath but take the insulation off the inner cores at the same time:(

Depends entirely on what sort of knife you use, I would agree with you if you used a Stanley type blade, but I have been using a folding knife since day one of my electrician life, and apart from the odd mistake when I was an Apprentice, I have had no slip ups, but what ever rocks your boat.
Why the dumb?

Reply to CK Automatic or Irwin Vise Grip Wire Strippers? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock