Discuss Claiming training costs by employer in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, few months back my company put me on Inspection and testing course and NVQ3 in Maintenance Engineering to get me multi skilled. Agreed to it thinking it's always good to have another piece of certs.
But I had to sign the agreement saying I will not leave the company for the 12 months from the date of completition or I'll have to pay them off if decided to leave.
Total cost of my courses and trainings is £5720, but I know for sure they claimed half of it of the government. Do you guys know is it legal to make somebody paying off more than actual costs? Did any of you had simillar situation?

Cheers

Look at it from the Employer's point of view, they're paying close to 6 grand for the course which they feel you need to do your job, and are looking to benefit from paying for the training they have paid for, as others have said common practice.

Training in a new field is not deductable but continous improvement is. If already a spark you can claim to further your skillset.

I have :D

Interesting interpretation. HMRC told me that maintaining my existing qualifications is deductible, but adding new skills or courses isn't.

And people wonder why the UK doesn't invest in training.:(:(:(:(

There not just paying for the course itself there also paying you while you do the course. So while the course few may be there grand there also your wage that they've lost while your doing the training.

Reply to Claiming training costs by employer in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net