Discuss clever ways of ring final test without removing spur fronts?? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrician is a professional job so you have to take responsibility for doing things right sometimes. You answer to professional responsibility as well as the customer
You have to do things right at all times not just sometimes. You are only responsible for what you have agreed with the client and you just need to record this on the certification that you give to the client. If you want to perform tests that you haven't been asked to do then you are free to do so but you won't get paid for it.

You have to do things right at all times not just sometimes. You are only responsible for what you have agreed with the client and you just need to record this on the certification that you give to the client. If you want to perform tests that you haven't been asked to do then you are free to do so but you won't get paid for it.

For a periodic I totally agree but not for an initial verification. If you explain to the customer why they need it then youll get paid. Plus sometimes you have to do things you won’t get paid for, for your own piece of mind.

An initial verification has to be carried out in full, in the correct order at all times in my opinion. A periodic you have a lot more flexibility due to the fact that 9 times out of 10 you’ll have various circuits that can’t be turned off and therefore certain tests your unable to carry out. But like I say, with an initial I always try to carry out a complete test in the order stated.

My point of view exactly John. If we don’t do things responsibly and properly, people die.
If there was a fault on a different part of the installation the blame would be on the client who
An initial verification has to be carried out in full, in the correct order at all times in my opinion. A periodic you have a lot more flexibility due to the fact that 9 times out of 10 you’ll have various circuits that can’t be turned off and therefore certain tests your unable to carry out. But like I say, with an initial I always try to carry out a complete test in the order stated.
i agree with you and if you have installed the wiring and you are doing the testing you have no flexibility regarding the tests and should do them in the prescribed order. I was under the impression that the issue was just the testing of the units when someone else had done the wiring,in which case I would just test the sockets and note this on the certificate

To be honest I would do a full test under both circumstances. But IF I was to choose one then I would be more inclined to not test my own work as I know I’ve done it correctly. That being said I would still test it in full because no one is infallible

You have to do things right at all times not just sometimes
Agree, perhaps i should have said sometimes there's a difference between the two!
You are only responsible for what you have agreed with the client and you just need to record this on the certification that you give to the client.
True but the client or your plumbers are not qualified electricians so whatever they say doesn't override the correct way of doing it. That's the difference between a professional and a labourer.

The labourer just does what they're told and the bar for negligence is quite high. But for a professional you have a duty of care and when someone is killed or injured saying you wrote it on the form probably wouldn't go down too well.

Whenever any major incident happens, there is always a long chain of small passing of responsibility, and someone has to stand up for the right way. If it isn't of consequence, then it'll be ok, but knowing the purpose of testing and still noting limitations knowing that dangerous electrical installations could be put into use surely isn't professional behaviour?

Ok if after arguing the point with the bosses they are adamant then maybe, but it shouldnt be just go home thinking a good days work completed.

Edit sorry for the long post!:rolleyes:

You might be able to solder a fine flexible insulated wire ( say a few cm chopped from a headphone cable) onto the end of a fuse, and use that as a probe to make an adequate contact with the fuse holder which might now be able to almost close. ( The wire will jamb). It will depend on the particular brand/ design. Not something I've ever tried mind you.
( For dead test only I would add!)

One of the reasons for the R1+R2 test is to check it is a ring, can you not physically see the ring? You could always test at the flex pulling the fuse will prove fuse in the live. The other fused spurs the only way to take off spur.

Can you get to the live terminal by popping the fuse out and sticking a prove in to the fuse holder? And the earth via a faceplate screw? That would give you R1 R2. The resistance might be slightly higher through the screw though so you would have to compare.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, im not sure if the fuse holder stops you accessing the actual live part behind

I heard a tip before that you can jam a small screwdriver (2.5mm slotted) into the fuse carrier and get a reading off of the shaft. Never tried it however. I suppose its success largely depends on the design of the FCU.

Last edited:

Reply to clever ways of ring final test without removing spur fronts?? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net