Discuss Click, Hagar or MK? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm a bit fed up with crabtree (specifically their 2g sockets) which has been my choice of white accessory . I have just had a few where the screws are rounding off in the socket (just on the line conductor but that is probably coincidence) and this doesn't fill me with confidence about the product.

Click mode seems to be mentioned a fair bit in previous threads along with Hagar sollysta, plus I thought I'd add MK due to their (perhaps outdated) reputation.

Any suggestions about the above 3 or perhaps others as well?

Click is good and cheap, Hager is the best I've used but a bit more expensive (15 to 20% more). I often end up using click because of the interchangeability with their minigrid stuff. It means for example, when rewiring a bathroom I can fit one plate with a fan isolator, up to 3 switch es for lights, and a fused connection unit...

We use Click, it's a good quality product with a low failure rate. The inter-changeable switches are a must now days, certainly with the installs we get involved with. The only thing we don't like about them are the faceplate screws, they seem to be curved so the driver constantly slips off.

Click all the way for me. A lot might depend on what you generally do though - if it's domestic and sometimes a little bespoke you can't go wrong with Click and it's modules.

Recently completed a high end new build that had some low level wall lighting, was able to use Click and it's New Media Light Modules to tie the lights into the same style as the Faceplates, Retractive Switch Modules to operate the MVHR Boost on the same plate as the Light Switch, and of course Intermediate Modules as required - with it all looking the same.

I predominantly use MK, mostly because of the finished look. But some of their units, FCU e.g, seem to have smaller terminal screws. And if you have the misfortune to have to fix & re-fix the terminal heads bur.
Click mode seem to have a similar finished appearance to MK, so might be a convert?

Out of the choices I would also go for Click. Flexible and at least reasonably priced.
Hagar are not handily available for me and the cost is an issue, MK have some useful arrangements such as level terminals but also have stupid ideas like their screw together FCU fuse, for the price and low quality of them it is only when I need to match something I will ever buy MK.

I'm a Hager Sollysta fan for day in day out white plastic use. Superb quality gear with a nice appearance at a good price. Not one faulty accessory in 4 years of using them. All terminal screws face up for ease of connection and testing, screws are also captive and supplied backed off, neutral loop terminals in the switches, switch modules are interchangeable (except for the 3 gang single plate) so you don't have to change to grid in most cases.

I get a good price from my wholesaler but I know the range is not the cheapest. I have used cheaper white square edged brands in the past, but the time lost and hassle with duff gear makes it a no brainer for me to use quality gear.

The only nitpick I can find about the whole range is that the FCU with flex outlet has the flex coming horizontally through the front plate rather than vertically down. That's the only niggle in years of use though.

They do lack a bit of flexibility compared to Click when it comes to bespoke switching arrangements, but Hager do a Sollysta grid range to match. Click minigrid trumps all in this respect though. I always look at different brands for each job where decorative and complex switching solutions are needed, and pick whichever brand suits the job.

MK are just way out on price and I don't even consider them.

Years ago I took a shine to Legrand but I’ve overcome that fetish now. MK Logic Plus accessories have always filled me more with confidence than any other brand. Having said that, since they started making them in Malaysia, the plastic at the back appears more shiny. Don’t know if that is a good or bad thing.

I like Click too, IMO the terminal layout in both Hager and MK sockets makes it more tricky to dress the cables in nicely within the backbox, also the Hager terminals seem very shallow and I prefer the conductor to go in beyond the screw when tightening the terminals.

I have a stock of Hager and BG on my van to give the customer a choice. My default choice is Hager though. Not used Click much, but will probably do so after reading this.

MK I occasionally use at customers request. Fitted quite a bit recently and noted that the rear assembly tends to bend and twist away from the face plate a bit when tightening up the terms.

Another option may be the Schneider range that Yessss do. Not used any myself but they have a fresh look, seem reasonably well built and are cheap (around £2 for a DSSO if I recall correctly). Have used metal flat plate Schneider before and they were spot on.

I use click as others have said the interchange of units is a factor
I've just got a contract to connect up Omar park homes on a site near me and all switches etc are click kitchen panel uses printed switch and switch fuse grid units look good

I am a Hager fan myself, nto had a problem with their stuff, touch wood.
Had a few issues with MK recently with iffy screws in sockets and switches, some wouldn't move for love or money so had to replace them at suppliers.
I think the company called electrium owns several of the big brands such as Wylex, Crabtree, Siemens electrical accessories , Volex and Britmac and likely many more brands. Sometimes i reckon its the same item just in a different packet with a logo printed on.

Reply to Click, Hagar or MK? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net