Discuss Client is being very naughty and im caught in the middle in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I carried out an EICR for a charity music school, the building is a small brick building with a few ring circuits and lighting circuits.
I am going to be upgrading a few consumer units.

I asked them where their meter was and they said they currently do not have one and do not intend to have one???
is this my problem as its not unsafe having a Henley block in place of the meter??

Tough one. If you installed would you be complicit in the scam ? Would a note on the cert saying you made client aware suffice ?

Good one... What the procedure if you see someone with 2 CU's and one has bypassed the meter, or along those lines...? You get the idea...

Is it definately a DNO incomer? On some multi-building sites, such as colleges and universitys, the distribution cabling was installed by the local electricity board with a central meter and customer switchgear. The submains look like DNO cables (paper insulated lead etc.) but are in fact private, being metered upstream.

Not sure I'd be submitting paperwork with my name and signature on where there may be no meter.

How are you gong to isolate the existing boards?

I would probily let them off with it being a charity (would feel charitable), would tell the client that he needs to call and get a meter installed (which they probily wont) and then note on the certificate that "there is no meter and have informed client that he needs to call and get one fitted" and just leave it at that.

The last thing I'd do is put it in writing there's no meter. You may as well write 'please lock me up as an accomplice' on the cert as well...

At least put 'unable to access' or something equally vague.

How are you gong to isolate the existing boards?[/QUOTE]

Isolation is not an issue as there are currently two switch fused dis connectors, no meter has been bypassed, one has never been fitted

Effectively you are there to assess the safety of the electrical installation. There is no electrical hazard in being unmetered. An N/A would be applicable for the report.
You then have the dilemma of is this something I wish to report or do I check up to see if it legitimate or do I ignore it.
This is down to your level of energy, moral compass and interest.

If you can isolate it I would conveniently forget the conversation you have had with the person and write not located fed from switch fused sub-main on the form. Ilf it was a grow room completely different dilemma.

The views on this is interesting to read.
We usually go on about doing a proper job and doing things by the book.. It sounds like that's ok ...as long as it's to our liking...
I suppose at the end of the day, as @Richard Burns says, it's down to our moral compass...
Personally I would question the set-up with the DNO.

If it was a new install, and you gave the customer the ability to extracting electricity without due authority, then you may be assisting with the commission of the offence (Section 13 Theft Act 1968).

I don't do EICR's, but are you not required to comment on the metering equipment. So going ahead with an EIC, you are aware the meter does not exist, allowing the offence to be continued to be committed, or aiding or abetting an offence.

Reply to Client is being very naughty and im caught in the middle in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock