Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss clipping cables on damp proofed wall in the New Member Introductions area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Daz

Daz New EF Member

Got a job rewiring a kitchen where the walls have been damp proofed with a membrane.
    I have spoken with the plasterer and he is fine studding the wall out so that I can use drywall boxes but unsure of how to clip the cables as the nails will puncture the membrane.
    Any ideas please?

2. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Clip them to the stud that he installs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Daz

Daz New EF Member

I did consider that but wondered if there was any other way.
    Will cable clips ruin the integrity of the damp proof?

4. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Well of course it will if you pierce it. Why isn't clipping it the the new studwork good enough?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
  6. Daz

Daz New EF Member

The plasterer is not available for at least two weeks at which point I haven't the space in the diary for the 1st fix.
    Brilliant wilko thanks for that will grab some and some cable ties from the suppliers.
    Pretty sure that will sort it only a small kitchen so not many outlets.
    Cheers

7. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    See a lot them hanging off whatever surface they happen to have been "stuck" on. Bit like 3M tape on the back of LED strips.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Rosco

Rosco Regular EF Member

These are useful but I only use them inside metal trunking using the fixing hole to keep cables tidy and easier for liding up. If I was only using the adhesive part I'd probably only have it as a temporary item e.g. Festoon lighting.

9. snowhead

snowhead Trusted Advisor

Speak to whoever did the membrane and ask waht is acceptable.
    I'd assume is got warranty which you may (will) void by bridging it.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  10. Rosco

Rosco Regular EF Member

As Lee said clip to the stud then you know it's fixed the sticky pads are very hit and miss IMO

11. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    I wonder how the plasterer is going to fix the stud? Sticky pads?:) And do you think he will put the cables in the stud properly when it is put up? Unless you somehow put your cables out of the way of the studs and noggins.

12. ruston

ruston Trusted Advisor

The way I have seen it done is a new stud wall completely seperated from existing wall with at least a two inch gap and top stud to ceiling joists and bottom to floor joists , then built in traditional way . Plenty room for cable and drywall boxes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

Adhesive backed mini trunking or just leave the cables in the stud work like other such installs.

14. Matthewd29

Matthewd29 Regular EF Member

It might not be so damp proof after

15. Fox

Fox Electrician's Arms

The studs are fixed as usual (screwed into the wall through the membrane), but the plugs used are designed to seal the hole drilled (if this makes sense):

PermaSEAL Quick Plugs Bag of 100 - £36 - Membrane Fixings - https://www.permagard.co.uk/p-seal-quick-plugs?gclid=CjwKCAjw3_HOBRBaEiwAvLBbokZ35wOk3ZMFZWzLklcOLRcy8Tp-fTPrOEuKxEopFW9DQ6MAgx3mDxoCoeoQAvD_BwE

Op - clip your cable to the studs as you would with a normal stud partition wall and use the usual partition boxes for switches and sockets. However, some installers use slater's lat to mount the plasterboard onto in order to minimise the space lost in a room when installing these kits. If so, you may need to use shallower boxes, so be careful if you're specifying fancy accessories that require deep boxes!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  16. SparkyChick

SparkyChick Making a banana smoothy for my fave gorilla Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    SparkyChick
    You can get those cable tie bases without adhesive I believe... stick them to the membrane with some grip adhesive or something. You'll just need to be careful you don't rip it. Personally... however you solve the problem... take lots of pictures as proof the membrane wasn't damaged when you've finished.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Daz

Daz New EF Member

Sorted thanks for the replies.
    I used the sticky bases that wilko suggested they really stick quite well to the membrane and hold the cables fine.
    Was going to clip to the stud but called the plasterer and he had decided he was just dot n dabbing boards over the membrane.
    Just hope he follows the plan now and leaves me enough depth for drylining boxes.
    Cheers guys

18. Fox

Fox Electrician's Arms

That makes life easier for you.

One other thing to consider - is the plasterer using insulated plasterboard? If so, think about how you'll contain your cables behind the board as the insulation material on the back of the plasterboard can react with the plasticizers within PVC insulation overtime.

Can't remember the name of the process but it can cause insulation failure over a period of time