Discuss clipping cables on damp proofed wall in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Daz

-
Reaction score
Got a job rewiring a kitchen where the walls have been damp proofed with a membrane.
I have spoken with the plasterer and he is fine studding the wall out so that I can use drywall boxes but unsure of how to clip the cables as the nails will puncture the membrane.
Any ideas please?

I've not had to use them, but these might be worth a look :
2-Way Adhesive Base Natural 25 x 25mm Pack of 100 - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/2-way-adhesive-base-natural-25-x-25mm-pack-of-100/38890?kpid=38890&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy5ehkpnk1gIVCo0bCh213wJFEAQYAyABEgLeP_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMu9p6-Z5NYCFZOJ7QodSNELlQ

IMG_0827.jpg

The plasterer is not available for at least two weeks at which point I haven't the space in the diary for the 1st fix.
Brilliant wilko thanks for that will grab some and some cable ties from the suppliers.
Pretty sure that will sort it only a small kitchen so not many outlets.
Cheers

I've not had to use them, but these might be worth a look :
2-Way Adhesive Base Natural 25 x 25mm Pack of 100 - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/2-way-adhesive-base-natural-25-x-25mm-pack-of-100/38890?kpid=38890&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy5ehkpnk1gIVCo0bCh213wJFEAQYAyABEgLeP_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMu9p6-Z5NYCFZOJ7QodSNELlQ

View attachment 38730

These are useful but I only use them inside metal trunking using the fixing hole to keep cables tidy and easier for liding up. If I was only using the adhesive part I'd probably only have it as a temporary item e.g. Festoon lighting.

Speak to whoever did the membrane and ask waht is acceptable.
I'd assume is got warranty which you may (will) void by bridging it.

I wonder how the plasterer is going to fix the stud? Sticky pads?:) And do you think he will put the cables in the stud properly when it is put up? Unless you somehow put your cables out of the way of the studs and noggins.

The way I have seen it done is a new stud wall completely seperated from existing wall with at least a two inch gap and top stud to ceiling joists and bottom to floor joists , then built in traditional way . Plenty room for cable and drywall boxes.

I wonder how the plasterer is going to fix the stud? Sticky pads?:) And do you think he will put the cables in the stud properly when it is put up? Unless you somehow put your cables out of the way of the studs and noggins.

The studs are fixed as usual (screwed into the wall through the membrane), but the plugs used are designed to seal the hole drilled (if this makes sense):

PermaSEAL Quick Plugs Bag of 100 - £36 - Membrane Fixings - https://www.permagard.co.uk/p-seal-quick-plugs?gclid=CjwKCAjw3_HOBRBaEiwAvLBbokZ35wOk3ZMFZWzLklcOLRcy8Tp-fTPrOEuKxEopFW9DQ6MAgx3mDxoCoeoQAvD_BwE

Op - clip your cable to the studs as you would with a normal stud partition wall and use the usual partition boxes for switches and sockets. However, some installers use slater's lat to mount the plasterboard onto in order to minimise the space lost in a room when installing these kits. If so, you may need to use shallower boxes, so be careful if you're specifying fancy accessories that require deep boxes!

Last edited:
You can get those cable tie bases without adhesive I believe... stick them to the membrane with some grip adhesive or something. You'll just need to be careful you don't rip it. Personally... however you solve the problem... take lots of pictures as proof the membrane wasn't damaged when you've finished.

Sorted thanks for the replies.
I used the sticky bases that wilko suggested they really stick quite well to the membrane and hold the cables fine.
Was going to clip to the stud but called the plasterer and he had decided he was just dot n dabbing boards over the membrane.
Just hope he follows the plan now and leaves me enough depth for drylining boxes.
Cheers guys

Sorted thanks for the replies.
I used the sticky bases that wilko suggested they really stick quite well to the membrane and hold the cables fine.
Was going to clip to the stud but called the plasterer and he had decided he was just dot n dabbing boards over the membrane.
Just hope he follows the plan now and leaves me enough depth for drylining boxes.
Cheers guys

That makes life easier for you.

One other thing to consider - is the plasterer using insulated plasterboard? If so, think about how you'll contain your cables behind the board as the insulation material on the back of the plasterboard can react with the plasticizers within PVC insulation overtime.

Can't remember the name of the process but it can cause insulation failure over a period of time

Reply to clipping cables on damp proofed wall in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net