Discuss CO Carbon Monoxide alarm requirements ? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hey all, just looking at a new job where need to price up a quote for smoke alarms in a bungalow that's to be rented and also noticed there is a new boiler going in now, am I responsible for landlord to be told he'll need a CO alarm and would it need a seperate supply other than from an mcb that will feed the smoke alarms ?

Boiler is going on wall in kitchen and property has lounge/diner next then hallway and 2 x bedrooms, also would it require further co alarms in both bedrooms too at breathing height on wall ?

Thanks,

Smokes under Grade D, can be feed from Lighting circuit or dedicated, choice is yours aslong as they have a means of lockable isolated for maintenance. (which Aico bases comply with)
More important, the lighting or dedicated suppy, must conform to bs7671, if that means fitting RCBO then install

Had a look at a few docs referencing CO alarms and some say even gas or oil fired boilers need CO alarms as they can have unburnt fuel causing Carbon monoxide and others saying only solid fuel appliances but still best practice to fit alarm anyway on liquid fuels ! but is it just in the room where appliance is fitted ?

Technically it is solid fuel.....but IOM it should be all gas & oil appliances. They are life saves. They need to be fitted where there is either and appliance (gas fire, Boiler) and also any room the flue path follows, if not direct through a wall. So take a chimney on a coal or gas fire, it raises up through the first floor, if there is a bedroom above, then this area also requires detection.

Technically it is solid fuel.....but IOM it should be all gas & oil appliances. They are life saves. They need to be fitted where there is either and appliance (gas fire, Boiler) and also any room the flue path follows, if not direct through a wall. So take a chimney on a coal or gas fire, it raises up through the first floor, if there is a bedroom above, then this area also requires detection.
Thanks Tazz, that's it sorted then as flue goes straight out through wall a few inches above so that will be sound, bedrooms are opposite end of property.

Ok so i have a question. I'm currently on a kitchen/ bathroom renewal contract where the client has primarily asked for eicr on all their properties. Included in this i have also been asked to note fire/ smoke detection. On many of the properties i have come across bedrooms containing a boiler with no mains co detection. They have asked for all c1 and C2 codes to be attended to but have refused any install of smoke or co detection. Where do i stand with regards to issuing certification for these properties and informing building control.

As a landlord they are required by law to install smoke/heat detection......if its a private dwelling, homeowner they can decide for thmselves.
If in any doubt, enter all finds on issued cert to cover yourself

Last edited:
Then you cover your backside with a report, and then its in their ball court to comply or not......Problem is you personally cannot force them to comply.

Reply to CO Carbon Monoxide alarm requirements ? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock