Discuss Code 1 Problems - Am I being Scammed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Just checked to see what that is and as far as I am aware no he did not.

charged £150 + VAT and he was there for about 1 hour.

£150 + VAT and there for an hour - for that I would have expected him/her to be there for 3/4 hours!

dick turpin electrics? 1 hour is nowhere near long enough to carry out a PIR. as murdoch says. £150 is about right for 3 hours. i'd code 2 the cooker ignition if it was not fused down and also code 2 the 32A MCB, circuit 9, everything else .. code4. at £150/hour, i wouldn't get this guy back to do the remedials.

dick turpin electrics? 1 hour is nowhere near long enough to carry out a PIR. as murdoch says. £150 is about right for 3 hours. i'd code 2 the cooker ignition if it was not fused down and also code 2 the 32A MCB, circuit 9, everything else .. code4. at £150/hour, i wouldn't get this guy back to do the remedials.

I haven't actully paid him yet. He believes I'm going to call him back to have the repairs done. What should I say to him?

£800 + VAT for remedial works - does the quote/estimate give much detail as to what he/she would be doing??

He mentioned the fuse box would need to be replaced because it wasn't "regs". He quoted £430 + VAT for this and then the quote for the rest was the other code 1 stuff cam to about £370 + VAT. Hopefully once the mod approves my previous post with the link to the report you'll be able to take a look.

tell him politely in 2 words, the 2nd word being "off". when you say you haven't paid him yet, have you not paid him for the "report"? if not, i'd query the £150 for an hour's work.

tell him politely in 2 words, the 2nd word being "off". when you say you haven't paid him yet, have you not paid him for the "report"? if not, i'd query the £150 for an hour's work.

Thats correct. The agency that is going to be dealing with the tenants in my property organised for this to be done. So I believe he will probably expect payment from them and then the agency will invoice me.

by fitting a new CU, half of the remedials would automatically be taken care of just by installing it. i'd say £500 was nearer the mark for everything.

Code 1 Problems - Am I being Scammed? screengrab - EletriciansForums.net

Code 1 Problems - Am I being Scammed? screengrab2 - EletriciansForums.net

Heres the relevant pages of the report in image format. To be honest I dont mind paying the £150 + VAT for the cert but then having to pay additional for stuff that isnt needed is an issue for me.

Dark Forces,
Whatever happens you will still need to be in possession of a satisfactory PIR report and the the 2x code 2 deviations will need rectifying. So my suggestion is have a look through the listings on here a find a member in your area, or start a new thread looking for a spark in your area, 15,000+ members there must be someone in your area.

I would speak to your prospective agent and explain that the report carried out by their spark was far from acceptable and that you believe that he was trying to pull the wool over your eyes and extract money for a survey not completed to the required standard, and further trying to extract money for works that are not required.

I would put this to the agent, ask them is it something that they condone or support, i would mention trading standards, and i would categorically state that you will not be paying for the report. I would also go to great lengths to point out that the possible relationship between you and the agent is in serious jeopardy and that this may affect your business relationship, with them, going forward. by doing this you may find that the agent will be a little more helpful as a result.

Going forward, use your own tradesmen that way you have control of payment to them and you can be sure of where the tradesmen's priorities lie!, and you know the agent are not taking their cut.

Dark Forces,
Whatever happens you will still need to be in possession of a satisfactory PIR report and the the 2x code 2 deviations will need rectifying. So my suggestion is have a look through the listings on here a find a member in your area, or start a new thread looking for a spark in your area, 15,000+ members there must be someone in your area.

I would speak to your prospective agent and explain that the report carried out by their spark was far from acceptable and that you believe that he was trying to pull the wool over your eyes and extract money for a survey not completed to the required standard, and further trying to extract money for works that are not required.

I would put this to the agent, ask them is it something that they condone or support, i would mention trading standards, and i would categorically state that you will not be paying for the report. I would also go to great lengths to point out that the possible relationship between you and the agent is in serious jeopardy and that this may affect your business relationship, with them, going forward. by doing this you may find that the agent will be a little more helpful as a result.

Going forward, use your own tradesmen that way you have control of payment to them and you can be sure of where the tradesmen's priorities lie!, and you know the agent are not taking their cut.

OK thanks for that.. I did actually speak to the agent last week when the electrician had left and explained to him what the electrician had told me verbally. He explained that the electrician was just someone they recomended for this sort of thing and had no affiliation with the agency whatsoever. He did mention that sometimes the people they had reccomended could get a bit greedy with upselling their services and reccomending improvements that were not necessary but obviously the ownus was on me to make sure I did my due dilligence regarding this.

However in my opinion this is not just greed, its sheer incompetence and obviously I will be explaining to the agent I will not be paying for this cert.

what i would suggest is that you contact 1 or 2 local electricians for a quote for the remedials. make sure that you get a guy that's registered with napit, elecsa or niceic and ask for proof of this.

Reply to Code 1 Problems - Am I being Scammed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock