Discuss Code 1 Problems - Am I being Scammed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Is the board change on advise of the letting agency that they require all the properties to have RCD protection ?

I know that quite a few uni's and agencies have a stipulation that all properties must have RCD protection, I just wonder if your agency stipulated same, and the sparks was informed of this?

Saying that the 150 pound price for an hours work does seem excessive, and his coding does leave a lot to be desired. Can't make out why he has LIMITED the 2 circuits on the IR test, and still managed to carry out an R1 + R2 on them.

That cert is a duffer, he must have measured the Zs and subtracted the Ze for the R1+R2 readings as readings are all consistently 0.22ohms difference.

I think you are right to refuse to pay for a PIR that is wrong in so many ways.

those readings look like they were copied out of a book.

As telectrix alluded, he may have been a plumber in disguise.

Check anyone you get in to quote on here Local Authority Building Control - HOME

Hmmm, an unknown 2.5mm circuit with a 16A breaker, no idea what that is likely to be in a domestic environment given what else has been identified :banghead:
maybe there is an immersion heater lurking away where it can't be found.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will be using all of this when speaking to the electrician later. One thing that does spring to mind. On my driveway I have a montion sensor activated lamp which comes on when anyone is within the vicinity of the front door. Could this be why he has given a Code 1 on No RCD protection?

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will be using all of this when speaking to the electrician later. One thing that does spring to mind. On my driveway I have a montion sensor activated lamp which comes on when anyone is within the vicinity of the front door. Could this be why he has given a Code 1 on No RCD protection?

I doubt it unlessit has a 13A socket built into it which you can plug your mower into!

Why has the box been ticked for presence of RCDs, then a code 1 been applied for lack of RCD protection?
I'd also question the use of N/A in the boxes for SELV, Electrical separation, Segregation of Band I and Band II and segregation of safety circuits.
I would have thought that the door bell would be SELV and Band I, and the smoke alarm circuit would to my mind be a safety circuit?

It doesent matter mate, if it was wired prior to 2008 its still a code 4. IMO hes missed the unknown circuit as this should be a code 3, requires further investigation. but as i say, only my opinion

no, he's given the code 1 as a scare tactic to persuade you that the installation is dangerous. according to BS 7671, RCD protection is required on socket outlets <32A for the use of unskilled persons, and for circuits with cables buried in walls < 50mm deep without earthed metallic protection. however, this applies ony to work carried out to current regulations. .it is not retrospective. it shouls only be coded as a code 4 " not compliant with current regs.

Is the board change on advise of the letting agency that they require all the properties to have RCD protection ?

I know that quite a few uni's and agencies have a stipulation that all properties must have RCD protection, I just wonder if your agency stipulated same, and the sparks was informed of this?

Saying that the 150 pound price for an hours work does seem excessive, and his coding does leave a lot to be desired. Can't make out why he has LIMITED the 2 circuits on the IR test, and still managed to carry out an R1 + R2 on them.

Nope all the agency want is a satisfactory certificate to move tenants in. They have not specified this to me at all.

Part P, is part of the Building Regulations, that require a lot of electrical work in domestic installations to be notified to Building Control.
For instance a Fuse Box change, most work in a kitchen or bathroom and the provision of a new circuit would require notification to BC.
The notification fees are quite high, although there is an option to use a Part P registered electrician who can then issue a BC compliance certificate (self certification).

part p is a building regulation whereby some work requires notification to your local authority. this is best achieved by employing an electrician registered with a scheme such as napit. without going into a long dissertation, repair work is not notifiable, but jobs like fuse board replacements are. if the sparls is a member of such a scheme, the notification is done through his scheme provider at very small cost. if he's not, then the LABC fee for inspection is prohibitive.

Reply to Code 1 Problems - Am I being Scammed? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock