• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Code cables in walls with metal partitions in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ian1981

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Recent thread brought up C3 cables in wall of less than 50mm from surface without rcd or additional mechanical protection on a eicr.
I would also C3 this however how do people feel about this if the walls were metal partions on the studs and not wood?
Would you then be more swayed to a C2 incase penetration/damage on a cable also touched against the metal work making the wall 'live'?
Thoughts please
Cheers

My take on it is..

If cables can be subjected to vibration, movement then it would lean towards a C2.

If insulation is holding it in position or its not not to be disturbed then it can lean to a C3.

It's one of those observations where a better understanding on the use of the installation may sway the decision.

For an EICR, unless you have X-Ray eyes, it's unlikely that you would be able to inspect the method of support for cables inside the partition. You could only code it as C3.
Maybe with a qualifying note as to the limitations of the inspection.

IIRC one "famous case" was an unprotected cable in a metal stud wall. A plasterer's nail, electrical testing that didn't find it, and a later pipe leak resulted in tragedy. I'd C2 it.

IIRC one "famous case" was an unprotected cable in a metal stud wall. A plasterer's nail, electrical testing that didn't find it, and a later pipe leak resulted in tragedy. I'd C2 it.
I really don't buy this scenario because how would any amount of testing have indicated a nail penetration through a live conductor in that wall which was isolated from earth.This was an unfortunate set of circumstances. The jury were given the "evidence" and decided that adequate testing was not carried and blame was laid.

Agree with you completely.
IMHO, I think that's one construction fault that can't be found with testing and it has caused a tragedy. Hence my personal choice of a C2 for OP question.

Last edited:

Reply to Code cables in walls with metal partitions in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back