Discuss Code on eicr? help resolve an arguement in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

Not on here often but looking to resolve an argument.

My self and my work buddy are having a disagreement on a code.

Senario is pvc wylex board, domestic property fitted with hrc fuses. No rcd protection. Tests all ok. Fitted according to the regs in-force at the time, i guess 15th.

I would give a code 3 he insists a code 2.

Please help resolve this.

Thank you.

I wouldn't code the board being plastic anything. The lack of RCD protection to lighting supplying a bathroom c3 if supplementary bonding is in place c2 if not. lack of additional protection to cables buried in wall at a depth of less than 50mm C3. No RCD protection for sockets on ground floor C2.
I concur, except with the plastic, we are NICEIC and they C3 plastic if under a wooden stair case or in the sole means of escape and not in a fireproof box.

I would not Code the board either, the lack of additional rcd protection warrants a minimum Code 3 according to BS7671 but your own evidence and findings may change this for example, socket outlets being used for equipment out if doors.

I concur, except with the plastic, we are NICEIC and they C3 plastic if under a wooden stair case or in the sole means of escape and not in a fireproof box.
That's the NICEIC for you anything to buck the system.

They don't code anything. They take your money.

You do the coding and if you go along with someone else's rules then they may as well be signing your reports.

I had a big argument with the Electrical Safety Council and the NICEIC regarding their C3 code for no RCD on sockets post amendment 3 that they put in the best practice guide. If there is no labelling or risk assessment in place then there was no control measures implemented. I tested schools across York, Sunderland and Newcastle and my reports were held as I put a C2 on sockets in clasrooms that didn't have an RCD. The contractor held them as they didn't correspond with the best practice guide.

They pulled the NICEIC in, which then went to the ESC, but once they realised I was right (and that I wasn't intimidated with their bullsh!t) and that the best practice guide was 'too vague' and didn't consider all scenarios, they backed off.

I would have refused your report on the basis of the code C2s.
Most definitely a code C3.

You tell me how a 6 year old, using electrical equipment on the socket shown, with no risk assessment, no 30mA RCD, or skilled person observing who is empowered with the wisdom to keep 20 kids to work safely is a C3?

vlcsnap-error428.png

You tell me how a 6 year old, using electrical equipment on the socket shown, with no risk assessment, no 30mA RCD, or skilled person observing who is empowered with the wisdom to keep 20 kids to work safely is a C3?

I don't think we can code children using sockets at all.

In my opinion the socket is located incorrectly and I would be looking to code that with a recommendation to move or remove the socket.

As far as I know a 30mA RCD will only prevent a healthy adult from death from an electric shock, not a small child.

Further to my above post I think the situation highlighted is mostly a non-electrical issue but is more a duty of care issue which would be far better dealt with by reporting to ofsted than being recorded on an eicr.

Are 6 year old children expected to use sockets?
Or anything to do with what's plugged on not them without any supervision at least?

Are 6 year old children expected to use sockets?
Or anything to do with what's plugged in them without any supervision at least?
I think not

Reply to Code on eicr? help resolve an arguement in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net