Discuss Coding of non bs7671 cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ian1981

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As title suggests, how many people carrying out EICR code the use of non compliant cables or at least cables not included in bs7671 for fixed wiring such as SY, YY cables.
I see more and more of this type of cabling used for the fixed wiring to anything as a supply to a socket outlet, to a supply for refrigerator units.

Appreciate people’s thoughts and opinions on the matter.

I also see a lot of it in use, particularly from isolators to machines or AC units, also from DBs to 3phase sockets and isolators.
Never really thought about the issue of it not being included in BS7671. I judge it on whether it’s appropriate for where and what it’s supplying and is glanced correctly at both ends.
For the written report, cable type will be O (other) and in the box I will write “SY Cable”

I tend not to but I did C2 one in a factory just before Christmas where someone has used the braid as a cpc and the green/yellow for another purpose but generally no. They can be difficult to size although most now have the csa on the sheath, very deceptive though. Ccc also must be guaged by using correction factors depending on the number of cores. Must admit where someone has earthed the braid it is not possible to judge its ability to carry fault current.

Ideally I like to see the voltage rating on the cable and go from there.

I normally just make a note on the eicr regarding such use of cables like SY for fixed wiring however Im for ever more leaning towards a C3 at times as how can a safety call be made when testing to bs7671 when the dam cable is not included in the regulations

If installed correctly (as per Westie) and undamaged then C3 is my thought. Based on - it must be an improvement to use a cable that's approved for the job.

I think a more wide ranging question would be why people think these cables are suitable for the installation.

I looked at a job recently where an outside light was moved .... the sparky used SY cable - it was outside, and fixed to a wall ..... whereas NYYJ or HNO5 would have been much better choices ....

Yes it's a flex, but the installation of it will not comply with 7671.
Even NAPIT states-

"In order to be certain that cables comply with BS 7671, only those cables which are recognised in BS 7671 should be selected"

Therefore, theoretically, if you are completing EICR's under NAPIT it's a C3
It's a good and useful cable that has dropped all of us into a huge grey area - not for the first time.

I would conclude that if the cables in question are being used outside of the manufacturers recommendations then we should be flagging this up in our reports.
If they state that their SY cables are not suitable for fixed wiring of an electrical installation then we need to make the appropriate comments or codes.
Admittedly I don’t often find myself phoning Doncaster cables technical department( other cables are available) very often.

I wish it was included into BS7671 to remove the "grey area".

Remove the grey area- ha ha ha

If BS 7671 was sent to the plain English Society before the 18th edition is printed, it would delay the process by about 10 years.

Being it on ....

Just out of general interest but RS SY cables are ok for 'fixed installations' according to them.

RS Stock No. 522-676
Coding of non bs7671 cables upload_2018-1-23_14-59-22 - EletriciansForums.net

Just out of general interest but RS SY cables are ok for 'fixed installations' according to them.

RS Stock No. 522-676
View attachment 40380

I questioned this with RS.. They say it's an error and thanked me for pointing it out.

So they are unsuitable for fixed wiring?

I think this is what they are going to change it to.

Note
SY control cables are not suitable for fixed wiring applications requiring compliance with the requirements set out in BS7671.

Reply to Coding of non bs7671 cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock