Discuss Coin Meter confusion in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all.. needing help with an old Smith coin Meter. I've moved into a flat that has a £1 coin operated meter that the tenants upstairs use for their immersion heater. This is how it works.. they put in a £1and that in turn runs off my electricity. I have told my landlady who says everything is right with the meter and not to worry. I've looked at the coin meter and it is calibrated for 14 units.. I pay 14.95p per kWh.. is this right? is it costing me money above what they pay? If so how much please.

Think it goes along the lines of two flats of one supply, not good and wrong, is the meter in your flat or the upstairs flat? Do you get to take the pound coins out and put them in your pocket?

If you divide £1.00 by 14 then the other person is paying about 7p per kWh

So it looks like it's costing you about 7p for each kWh they are using ...

That's assuming the 14kwh per £1 is correct

Maybe get somebody to check this out properly

Just a thought but why is it just the emersion heater running of your CU has the flat above not got there own power supply and CU

Think it goes along the lines of two flats of one supply, not good and wrong, is the meter in your flat or the upstairs flat? Do you get to take the pound coins out and put them in your pocket?

Thanks for the reply. Upstairs have their own supply except for their immersion which runs off my Meter. I do pocket the money usually £4 per week. As of now the £1 are the discontinue. For the pound they get 3 tanks and a few sink fills of hot water.

If you divide £1.00 by 14 then the other person is paying about 7p per kWh

So it looks like it's costing you about 7p for each kWh they are using ...

That's assuming the 14kwh per £1 is correct

Maybe get somebody to check this out properly
So does that mean I am subsidising half of his usage. My tariff is 14.95p as told to me by my supplier. Thanks for replying.

Since you have the key to the money box, you can reset the dial to the correct nunumbeof units per coin. You are slloall a slight profit to cover your trouble. Divide £1 by the cost per unit, so I have been settings to 6 units per coin. Slide the clockwork mechanism out and turn it is that the setting pin is in the correct notch. Some so old that inflation was unforeseen and are at the limit of their setting options. Not financially viable to replace meter, just take photos of the reading every month and show the tenant, calculate cost and they can reimburse.

It's costing you just shy of 1 pence per KWH used. The immersion will more than likely be 3KW. Say the water temp is 15 degree and they have the immersion set to 55 degree and the hot water cylinder is 120 litres then it would roughly take around 1 hour 50 to get up to temp using roughly 5.5 KWH.

No, he says the meter is set at 14 units per pound coin. So he is losing over 7p per kilowatt. It needs to be reset to at least 7 units, but i set at 6. There is a legal maximum you can resell at.

Tha
It's costing you just shy of 1 pence per KWH used. The immersion will more than likely be 3KW. Say the water temp is 15 degree and they have the immersion set to 55 degree and the hot water cylinder is 120 litres then it would roughly take around 1 hour 50 to get up to temp using roughly 5.5 KWH.

Thanks all for replying. Excuse my ignorance but does them using my electricity mean I
Where is the fuse or MCB for said immersion heater .....

It's in the electric cupboard under the stairs.. should I take out the fuse lol.

Excuse my ignorance but how much will be coming off my Meter if they are getting 7p per unit on 14 units.

No, he says the meter is set at 14 units per pound coin. So he is losing over 7p per kilowatt. It needs to be reset to at least 7 units, but i set at 6. There is a legal maximum you can resell at.
I didn't read the thread correctly. If that is the case based on the calculation above using 7pence then it's costing roughly 40 pence :eek:

Reply to Coin Meter confusion in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net