Discuss college assignment task help please for 2365/ 305 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

david vallance

Hi, I'm new to the electrical field, have passed my level 2 and learning my level 3 but regrettably have very little 1st fix experience.
As an assignment I have been asked to provide a fixture and fitting list to a made up drawing of a first floor house(lounge/halllway/kitchen/downstairs toilet/ stairs), this I can do and work out the scales and positions for each, I know whats required for the sockets and cooker point, the bit i am stuck on is the lighting circuits for each room, I know its one continual circuit on one level but each room has different numbers of lights and some are 1 way 1 gang, others are 2way, and some are 3 gang units. The bit I dont know is the best way to wire across and where best to go from 2c&E to 3c&E cable 1.5, as know some circuits would require strappers etc, but I have only done individual lighting arrangements in the college not wired across a number of rooms with different things in each, so not sure best way to do it.
What I need if any one is able to help, is a blue print possibly for a down stair wiring system across the different rooms showing the wiring circuits for each fitting to each room, (not worried about earthing path on it) just the live and neutral paths and where best different core cables are best used to compete different styles of circuits.( an examples would do as I can then transfer that idea into my drawing I have)
The outcome for the assignment is I have to list the quantity of cable required to complete the job, but as say as do not know where 2c&E or 3c&E would be best used I can not work it out, if anyone could help it would be very much appreciated, cheers .!

Hi, I'm new to the electrical field, have passed my level 2 and learning my level 3 but regrettably have very little 1st fix experience.
As an assignment I have been asked to provide a fixture and fitting list to a made up drawing of a first floor house(lounge/halllway/kitchen/downstairs toilet/ stairs), this I can do and work out the scales and positions for each, I know whats required for the sockets and cooker point, the bit i am stuck on is the lighting circuits for each room, I know its one continual circuit on one level but each room has different numbers of lights and some are 1 way 1 gang, others are 2way, and some are 3 gang units. The bit I dont know is the best way to wire across and where best to go from 2c&E to 3c&E cable 1.5, as know some circuits would require strappers etc, but I have only done individual lighting arrangements in the college not wired across a number of rooms with different things in each, so not sure best way to do it.
What I need if any one is able to help, is a blue print possibly for a down stair wiring system across the different rooms showing the wiring circuits for each fitting to each room, (not worried about earthing path on it) just the live and neutral paths and where best different core cables are best used to compete different styles of circuits.( an examples would do as I can then transfer that idea into my drawing I have)
The outcome for the assignment is I have to list the quantity of cable required to complete the job, but as say as do not know where 2c&E or 3c&E would be best used I can not work it out, if anyone could help it would be very much appreciated, cheers .!

Hi david can you post the drawing up?

David.
Upstairs lighting ::2c&cpc from Con unit to each lighting point including the landing light, OK so far? 2c&cpc from each light to the switch controlling that light, so you should have 3 x 2c&cpc at each lighting position, except the last one on the circuit. from the landing light switch position run a 3c&cpc to the bottom of the stairs this will form the 2 way for the landing light, doing it this way avoids having borrowed Ns at the Con unit. That's the the upstairs done apart from any fans in the bathroom, apart from the fan in the bath room, that is done by taking a 3c&cpc from the light to an isolator usually outside the bathroom and from there to the fan position.

The downstairs lighting is done the same way, and treat any 2 ways switching the same way as the landing light, hope this helps, difficult to explain in words, if I could do a drawing I would, good luck with your assignment.

This method is generally refereed to as the three plate loop in system.

But if using downlights, enclosed or decorative light fittings you're better off looping the feeds through the switches making terminations at the lights much simpler and quicker.

But if using downlights, enclosed or decorative light fittings you're better off looping the feeds through the switches making terminations at the lights much simpler and quicker.
Your right in the real world this is how we would do it but I think this is a assignment to show that he knows how to wire up standard lighting circuits in a house and knows what materials inc quantity needed.

David.
Upstairs lighting ::2c&cpc from Con unit to each lighting point including the landing light, OK so far? 2c&cpc from each light to the switch controlling that light, so you should have 3 x 2c&cpc at each lighting position, except the last one on the circuit. from the landing light switch position run a 3c&cpc to the bottom of the stairs this will form the 2 way for the landing light, doing it this way avoids having borrowed Ns at the Con unit. That's the the upstairs done apart from any fans in the bathroom, apart from the fan in the bath room, that is done by taking a 3c&cpc from the light to an isolator usually outside the bathroom and from there to the fan position.

The downstairs lighting is done the same way, and treat any 2 ways switching the same way as the landing light, hope this helps, difficult to explain in words, if I could do a drawing I would, good luck with your assignment.

This method is generally refereed to as the three plate loop in system.

Hi, thanks for coming back to me, yep totally understand what you are saying, have added picture?, was just looking at it and stumped to get power to wall lights other than junction boxing into circuit?, but know that there is live at switches, couldn't figure out how to wire out of ceiling light to wall lights?
Have tried to add picture states uploaded?, to where??
Hi david can you post the drawing up?
20170116_160449.jpg

View attachment 35230

View attachment 35231

View attachment 35232

Hi David,
If you are on a active training course may I interest you in requesting to join our Trainee section where we have a list of mentors who can provide you help with any queries and questions like you ask here, as a general rule in the main forum we don't want to see members using the forum to complete assignments or answer homework questions as this is not the best way to learn as your college will have its own agenda and expect to see answers that may not necessarily reflect the real world but what they teach you. As you just asking a general question on the best wiring method to help you complete this assignment then I leave the thread open but I'll reiterate that you would benefit well from our Trainee section.

Hi, thanks for coming back to me, yep totally understand what you are saying, have added picture?, was just looking at it and stumped to get power to wall lights other than junction boxing into circuit?, but know that there is live at switches, couldn't figure out how to wire out of ceiling light to wall lights?
20170116_160449.jpg

View attachment 35230

View attachment 35231

View attachment 35232
20170116_160449.jpg

View attachment 35230

View attachment 35231

View attachment 35232

Morning is there any way to get these attachments PM'd to me or them reload as nothing is opening up?

thanks in advance

Reply to college assignment task help please for 2365/ 305 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net