Discuss Combi boiler & extractor fan in zone 1 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ok. A landlord, so this is rented accommodation.

It certainly doesn’t sound within anyone’s regulations, and as you say, the danger of cracking your head when you get out the bath is enough to say it’s not safe.

Citizens advice could help with this, or your local council who the landlord should be registered with

Thanks, I'll try contacting both. Would I need to provide anything?

The location of the boiler is epic for a bath top up of hot, no diverting the cold until the good stuff comes through - little bit envious I am!

How good is your relationship with the landlord? Private or housing association?
Wouldn’t want you to get kicked out for bringing safety issues to their attention?

Is there any other safety issues, or things that aren’t quite right?
If I’m right in saying, every habitable room needs to have heating and there must be running hot water and a facility for cooking.
(Not so much supply you with a cooker, but an electric point for a cooker or a gas pipe for one)

Yes I know it’s a boiler, but doesn’t mean to say there’s enough radiators.

Mains powered interconnected smoke detectors?
Extract fans in bathroom and kitchen?

Not sure of the legislation where you live.

How good is your relationship with the landlord? Private or housing association?
Wouldn’t want you to get kicked out for bringing safety issues to their attention?

Is there any other safety issues, or things that aren’t quite right?
If I’m right in saying, every habitable room needs to have heating and there must be running hot water and a facility for cooking.
(Not so much supply you with a cooker, but an electric point for a cooker or a gas pipe for one)

Yes I know it’s a boiler, but doesn’t mean to say there’s enough radiators.

Mains powered interconnected smoke detectors?
Extract fans in bathroom and kitchen?

Not sure of the legislation where you live.

I'm in London. It's housing association.

They didn't fit an extractor in the kitchen, the one in the bathroom is broken. The fire door takes a good slam to close and the fire seal was painted over. I have smoke alarms but no carbon monoxide detector next to the gas supply :grimacing:

Well, at least a housing association isn't going to make things difficult for you if you complain, although i'm surprised there are so many faults.
Write them a letter listing the faults, and take a copy with photographs to the CAB. The HA can be forced to make things right.

ps... the carbon monoxide detector isn't put where the gas supply is.... its located where gas or other fossil fuel is being burned... A gas fire, a wood burner stove or a gas central heating boiler... which means in your case, the Co alarm should be in the bathroom.... where it isn't going to work properly because of the steam that isn't being extracted.

Well, at least a housing association isn't going to make things difficult for you if you complain, although i'm surprised there are so many faults.
Write them a letter listing the faults, and take a copy with photographs to the CAB. The HA can be forced to make things right.

ps... the carbon monoxide detector isn't put where the gas supply is.... its located where gas or other fossil fuel is being burned... A gas fire, a wood burner stove or a gas central heating boiler... which means in your case, the Co alarm should be in the bathroom.... where it isn't going to work properly because of the steam that isn't being extracted.

Agree with Littlespark the idea of housing associations is that it is safe affordable housing I would draft a letter/email with photo's to the H/A first before taking it further.

wrong dont need a co alarm

and going off a regs stand point theres nothing wrong with it aslong as the fused spur is else where to comply with elec zone regs

Hi, so someone decided to put a bathtub under a boiler and electric extractor fan. Half the bathtub is taken up by the boiler. It has a cupboard around the top and the sides, but the base and pipes going into the wall are exposed. More space will go if a shower mixer is installed and there is an extractor fan right above to worry about splashing.

I'm very unhappy with this. I'm sure if you don't electricute yourself, it's a concussion waiting to happen.

Is this legal? Should I get an inspection?

wrong dont need a co alarm

and going off a regs stand point theres nothing wrong with it aslong as the fused spur is else where to comply with elec zone regs
If the spur was located elsewhere then there would be no local isolation provided for the boiler so you would be contravening 1 reg just to try to comply with another reg. The idea of a boiler above a bath tub is totally ridiculous for many reasons. You really think there is nothing wrong with having a boiler above a bath? I don't think there is anything right about it tbh

If the spur was located elsewhere then there would be no local isolation provided for the boiler so you would be contravening 1 reg just to try to comply with another reg. The idea of a boiler above a bath tub is totally ridiculous for many reasons. You really think there is nothing wrong with having a boiler above a bath? I don't think there is anything right about it tbh

There would be local isolation

But what's stopping you installing the fcu outside the zones still complys

Didn't say it was practical just nothing in the regs to say you can't

There would be local isolation

But what's stopping you installing the fcu outside the zones still complys

Didn't say it was practical just nothing in the regs to say you can't
If you start installing electrical installations on the basis that 'there is nothing in the regs to say you cant" then you are on slippery ground. I prefer to base my designs on what the regs do approve of rather than what the regs say you cant.
Ps when you comply with bs7671 it is assumed that your work will be both safe and practical so if you are suggesting a solution that isn't actually practical then personally I wouldn't think you are complying with bs7671

If you start installing electrical installations on the basis that 'there is nothing in the regs to say you cant" then you are on slippery ground. I prefer to base my designs on what the regs do approve of rather than what the regs say you cant.
Ps when you comply with bs7671 it is assumed that your work will be both safe and practical so if you are suggesting a solution that isn't actually practical then personally I wouldn't think you are complying with bs7671

It is approved

Let's talk about elec showers

Same situation isolation out side of any zones

Seen a few with cooker switches (50 amp dp) outside the room there to reg as there locally

Reply to Combi boiler & extractor fan in zone 1 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net