• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Combi with a 300 litre hot water tank in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have been asked to provide a wiring centre for a combi boiler providing hot water to two showers a 300 litre hot water tank and central heating. The heating engineer says he is going to provide two two valves. I'm just a little confused as to how the thermostat on the tank will call for the water to be heated. I thought with a combi it relied on water being used, it then provided instant hot water. So I can't see how if the tank cools down how it is going to call for heat, unless its plumbed into the central heating.

Has anyone dealt with this before?

I have been asked to provide a wiring centre for a combi boiler providing hot water to two showers a 300 litre hot water tank and central heating. The heating engineer says he is going to provide two two valves. I'm just a little confused as to how the thermostat on the tank will call for the water to be heated. I thought with a combi it relied on water being used, it then provided instant hot water. So I can't see how if the tank cools down how it is going to call for heat, unless its plumbed into the central heating.
more like a open vented boiler .

S plan the heating

Unvented cylinder will be heated by the heating coil

As the lads have said ignore the hot water side of the combi

Combi with a 300 litre hot water tank IMG_1417.GIF - EletriciansForums.net

Normally fit an unvented cylinder with a combi if they have a big bath or a few baths etc (high draw items)

Bigger question why didn't they spec a system boiler and an unvented cylinder?

I think the landlord has got bad advice. It's a 6 bed HMO, if it was all ensuite he would need the 300 litre tank to run the other showers. As it is I think the tank is providing water to basins, sinks and appliances. Overkill if you ask me. System boiler wasn't specified as the combi was already installed. The heating engineer did question the decision but the landlord was insistent. Ho hum.

If the Landlord has other HMOs then they probably have the best idea of what suits that type of property.

It's his first so I think he has got confused advice. I have a couple of HMO's with a business partner. We use a 300 litre tank when we have 5 ensuites with showers. 2 run off electric leaving the 300 litres tank to deal with the remaining 3 showers. We use a system boiler instead of a combi.

Reply to Combi with a 300 litre hot water tank in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back