• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss comfused by NICEIC statement in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
confused by statement by NICEIC that this ok? Electrician compliant as circuit not energised. Can anyone tell me how NICEIC can make statement like this and assess wiring ok when they haven been to my house to inspect
see attached the work left like this on Aug14th and I cant get it removed until somebody says it non compliant

comfused by NICEIC statement WP_20180824_10_51_52_Pro - EletriciansForums.net

Is it energised or not?..

NICEIC will have consulted with there member and they must have said it is not energised, if this is true then what is the issue?
If however it is energised or has been left in a scenario where it can be accidentally energised then I would get independent verification from a competent person and pass that on to NICEIC.

confused by statement by NICEIC that this ok? Electrician compliant as circuit not energised. Can anyone tell me how NICEIC can make statement like this and assess wiring ok when they haven been to my house to inspect
see attached the work left like this on Aug14th and I cant get it removed until somebody says it non compliant

View attachment 45946
Are you saying that this is going to be left like this and covered over? if yes then it is obviously non compliant, if however it is left like this not engineered, locked off until the plastering has been done, so all OK. One point though that cable doesn't look like 2.5mm2m why because one of those cpcs looks suspiciously like it#s yellow and not G/Y Just saying.

Last edited:
Is the circuit breaker turned off and does it have some form of locking device on it?

If the circuit is locked off then it is fine as it is. If it is live then there’s an issue as a bit of tape isn’t suitable to protect against direct contact. Also we don’t know how the cables are jointed together.

TBH those conductors look a little short but that could just be the photo.

and depends what's under the tape, choc blocks , fire nuts, or just twisted?????

my issue is the plaster board is 1 1/2 in front of the socket metal frame. The socket face plate would have a 1in gap between the face plate and the frame. The person who put the wiring in also fixed the plaster board to finish. Why am I the only one seeing this? Surely an 1in gap is not good?

Is the circuit breaker turned off and does it have some form of locking device on it?

If the circuit is locked off then it is fine as it is. If it is live then there’s an issue as a bit of tape isn’t suitable to protect against direct contact. Also we don’t know how the cables are jointed together.

they are too short. Thankyou

it's taped over

my issue is the plaster board is 1 1/2 in front of the socket metal frame. The socket face plate would have a 1in gap between the face plate and the frame. The person who put the wiring in also fixed the plaster board to finish. Why am I the only one seeing this? Surely an 1in gap is not good?
Not really a problem.
A collar can be installed to take up the gap.
Most times, just longer screws are used.

As long as the plasterboard is accurately cut to match the box I can't see an issue with the box being deep, it would just need longer platescrews, and it would be easy to remove the box and fix a little batten in behind to bring it out flush with the plasterboard anyway.
This does seem a bit trivial TBH, are there other underlying issues here ?

Are you saying that this is going to be left like this and covered over? if yes then it is obviously non compliant, if however it is left like this not engineered, locked off until the plastering has been done, so all OK. One point though that cable doesn't look like 2.5mm2m why because one of those cpcs looks suspiciously like it#s yellow and not G/Y Just saying.
Sorry for the bad spelling, engineered should read energised, darn spell checks.

You are correct in that they should be longer but this is simply resolved, it does happen as every detail in a build is not always as perceived or expected hence we usually give a little allowance for these things or ensure we know the depth.
That aside I don't think it warrants the reaction you are giving, it is simply going to need a small joint and longer tails out to the socket, the gap between the board and the metal box is a none issue, the only criticism would be this is not locked off supply, again he may have confidence in you that you are aware of the situation and circumstances mean that it is not going to be accidentally switch on, it may not be the prescribed method but unless something has occurred or you perceive it may be switched on by accident then I wouldn't make an issue out of it.
You're at risk of falling out with your electrician over a minor issue, did you discuss this with them and what was there answer if so that made you decide to contact the NICEIC.

you think they used lighting cable?
the builder was kicked off the job as he left it like this since 14th Aug. How is a 1in gap a non issue between the face plate and frame. Surely the metal frames should have been fixed to battens so the face plate would be fixed securely over with no movement. Also hole cut in plaster board is bigger than the frame.

Reply to comfused by NICEIC statement in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back