• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Commando socket for kiln in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ashash

-
Reaction score
hi everyone, had a search but couldn’t find the answer to my question so hoping this isn’t duplicated. We’ve just got a kiln which is single phase 240v 5.5kw. It’s got a commando plug on it. When we moved to the house it had a kiln from the previous owner ( they took it with them ) this was wired into a garage consumer unit. I need to get a commando socket from this consumer unit for the new kiln. What cable should be used to go from the consumer unit to the commando socket? Also there is nothing else on this consumer unit it will only be for the kiln.

hi everyone, had a search but couldn’t find the answer to my question so hoping this isn’t duplicated. We’ve just got a kiln which is single phase 240v 5.5kw. It’s got a commando plug on it. When we moved to the house it had a kiln from the previous owner ( they took it with them ) this was wired into a garage consumer unit. I need to get a commando socket from this consumer unit for the new kiln. What cable should be used to go from the consumer unit to the commando socket? Also there is nothing else on this consumer unit it will only be for the kiln.

So the old owners of the house took the kiln power cable going to the garage consumer unit as well.... Not very nice..
As you no longer have a cable for your kiln then you will need a new circuit. This will need part p notification. Therefore the best option is to go with @buzzlightyear recommendation of getting a local spark in. They can double check the garage circuit, to see if it is still suitable and safe.

Thanks for the replies, sorry I wasn’t very clear, the cable is still there just wanted to make sure it’s okay and right. So it comes out of the consumer unit in 10mm2 twin and earth into a 32a commando socket.

should be OK, although T/E cable is not the ideal choice. what size MCB is in the CU, and is the circuit RCD protected?

should be OK, although T/E cable is not the ideal choice. what size MCB is in the CU, and is the circuit RCD protected?
The mcb is 32a and yes the consumer unit is rcd protected. If twin and earth is okay I’m happy to leave it but what cable should it be on ideal situation? As I’ve seen others online and there on a clear sheath with silver type armour on it. Thinks it’s sy cable. This is why I wasn’t sure if mine is right.

3 core 6.0mm SWA cable would be my choice., properly glanded at both ends and the armour earthed.

Ashash I think you just wanted to hear at least one reply saying 'the cable Is fine. In your mind that would justify to you that it was ok to use even though others have said get an electrician.
You have no idea if the RCD is working properly, no idea if the consumer unit has the correct earthing and if it is connected to your Main consumer unit. Plus lots of other things that require test equipment to determine.
I realise you just want to get your kiln working in your new house as it's exciting and that's understandable, plus you'll save a bit of money but it would probably only be 1 hour labour for an electrician to fit a commando socket and do the required testing so it's not going to break the bank and it will give you piece of mind. If they find faults and it costs more then it would have also been a good thing getting them out as you would have been using faulty circuit.

? As I’ve seen others online and there on a clear sheath with silver type armour on it. Thinks it’s sy cable. This is why I wasn’t sure if mine is right.

Yes it is SY, no its not armoured and it would be a very poor choice of cable and also likely to be non-compliant with UK wiring regulations if you did use it.

Why woukd you choose SWA for. This application based on the information provided so far?
1. because a commando socket is designed with a 20mm thread for cable entry via a SWA gland or a flex gland for round cable.
2. I've always got SWA in stock, rather than wasting 2 -3 hours obtaining a cut length of other cable type.

Ashash I think you just wanted to hear at least one reply saying 'the cable Is fine. In your mind that would justify to you that it was ok to use even though others have said get an electrician.
You have no idea if the RCD is working properly, no idea if the consumer unit has the correct earthing and if it is connected to your Main consumer unit. Plus lots of other things that require test equipment to determine.
I realise you just want to get your kiln working in your new house as it's exciting and that's understandable, plus you'll save a bit of money but it would probably only be 1 hour labour for an electrician to fit a commando socket and do the required testing so it's not going to break the bank and it will give you piece of mind. If they find faults and it costs more then it would have also been a good thing getting them out as you would have been using faulty circuit.
Not at all, as someone said it should be okay I was then not sure if it should be there or not. The consumer unit has been checked and so has the cable feeding it from the main consumer unit. We just haven’t had the commando socket/cable checked as wasn’t in use at the time. I will be getting an electrician to come and look at it/sort it he’s just busy until the new year and wanted to check the power was ok to test the kiln on :) . Sorry for any understanding

Some photos of the consumer unit, circuit breaker, cable and socket would be very helpful.

As a cable, a 10mm² cable that can take at least 40A will be fine to feed a kiln that can only draw 23A.
However this is only part of the story the rest of the installation protection methods and supplies also need to be suitable for the 23A load and this cannot be determined from the information currently supplied.

Reply to Commando socket for kiln in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back