Discuss Commando sockets for welding sets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Farmelectrics

-
Arms
Reaction score
Back in this fab shop today replacing 400v 4 pin commando sockets got me thinking there 3 phase and earth so I gather the welding sets are balanced loads but has anyone installed or come across the 5 pin ones were you require a neutral

Back in this fab shop today replacing 400v 4 pin commando sockets got me thinking there 3 phase and earth so I gather the welding sets are balanced loads but has anyone installed or come across the 5 pin ones were you require a neutral
so if you`v got an imballanced 3 phase load?...
course you can get 5 pin commando`s...
think i`v got a few kickin about someware....

We always install 5 pin as standard for future proofing , for the small uplift in the cost it give the installation a lot more versatility for any unforeseen changes .

We always install 5 pin as standard for future proofing , for the small uplift in the cost it give the installation a lot more versatility for any unforeseen changes .
excellent!!
yes...you never know if theres going to be a change of machinery/use...whatever....always good to have a neutral there....if you dont need it...you dont use it...seeemples....but good to have it for the sake of an extra core.....

We use pilot earthing as a interlock and a method of protecting trailing cables to welding sets.It involves passing a small current from a earth monitoring unit so that if the impedance of the earth circuit rises it trips the main breaker supplying the welding set.Therfore if the cable breaks or the earth becomes loose/detached the socket trips out

Although old they undeniably give the best performance of any stick welder i have come across , the likes of the old oxford oil cooled sets run on either 1ph or 2ph .

Ok thanks for all your input the ones I've been replacing today the armours are already in but there all 4 core ie 3 phase and earth so must limit them to certain welding sets that answers my question not all welding sets are balanced loads some need a 5 core cable for the neutral cheers guys

Ok thanks for all your input the ones I've been replacing today the armours are already in but there all 4 core ie 3 phase and earth so must limit them to certain welding sets that answers my question not all welding sets are balanced loads some need a 5 core cable for the neutral cheers guys

Calling Planet Earth.

Get real!

Calling Planet Earth.

Get real!

Tony , have you been at that bloody puzzle and forgot your pills again ? :ihih: ( No offence meant , of course.)

Farmelectrics , i think Tony means you can always use the swa as a earth so you could in fact install 5 pin on a 4 core .

Edit ; But personally i do prefer to run 5 core , i know there is no real need but i just like the reassurance that a good earth is not only resting on a gland that may not have been made off 100% correctly .

And before it is mentioned that the gland should be correctly made off " End of story" , if i made every one off on our firm then i would except that but i don't !

Last edited:
Tony , have you been at that bloody puzzle and forgot your pills again ? :ihih: ( No offence meant , of course.)

Farmelectrics , i think Tony means you can always use the swa as a earth so you could in fact install 5 pin on a 4 core .

Edit ; But personally i do prefer to run 5 core , i know there is no real need but i just like the reassurance that a good earth is not only resting on a gland that may not have been made off 100% correctly .

And before it is mentioned that the gland should be correctly made off " End of story" , if i made every one off on our firm then i would except that but i don't !

Oops 15 mins too slow with replying there lol...

Reply to Commando sockets for welding sets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net