Discuss comments on existing installation ? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

andytk

-
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have done a partial rewire on domestic 2 storey flat and not sure what to write on the certificate :
I have rewired all power points and left only 3x ligting circuits , the results where not satisfactory so I changed all fittings and switches, found the faults and rectified them ,. All good now,. Also found the outside light wired with t&e and I am going to replace it for FP,.

There are only battery surface mounted smokes alarm.

Q1: Is it new , add, or alteration ??

Q2: What should I write on comments of existing installation? Anything about those smokes?

Please help,

Thanks,
Andy

In the box of extent of work covered, give a description of what you have undertaken. As for the existing box, then a short descriptive of the general condition/age of the install.
Yes in an ideal situation then you could fill out an EIC for the rewire part and a MWC for the like for like replacements (if I understand correctly that's what you have done?).
accompany the cert with a cover letter detailing the faults that you've rectified and any further issues that may need to be addressed.

Hi All,

I have done a partial rewire on domestic 2 storey flat and not sure what to write on the certificate :
I have rewired all power points and left only 3x ligting circuits , the results where not satisfactory so I changed all fittings and switches, found the faults and rectified them ,. All good now,. Also found the outside light wired with t&e and I am going to replace it for FP,.

There are only battery surface mounted smokes alarm.

Q1: Is it new , add, or alteration ??It can only be new if it is a completely new install or a complete rewire and replacement. Often it may be both an addition and alteration,for example where a new circuit has been added (addition) and an existing circuit has been extended (alteration).Often an EIC will cover both,and in those circumstances in the circuits schedule I will write the circuit description with either (new circuit) or (existing circuit) following.

Q2: What should I write on comments of existing installation? Anything about those smokes?Up to you....no requirement for you to upgrade smokes as it's not a major refurbishment but no harm in advising.If there are any areas of the existing but not part of your work you feel need attention note it. It is important to remember though that this does NOT apply to existing items such as main bonding,earthing and circuit protection which affect the safety of work you have carried out.Any departures here would be noted as a departure rather than a comment,and you would need to justify why you have not rectified the departure as part of your work.

Please help,

Thanks,
Andy

The partial rewire is EIC, schedule of inspections for a new installation only, and a generic schedule of Test results.

The lighting circuits that you have sorted out is an EICR, but if you have fixed everything, then you have no need to make work for yourself and code the various bits and pieces on the inspection, and i would also include these circuits on the same Schedule of test results if all is well as you say.

The extent of the work carried out on the EIC, should only reflect the newly rewired circuits and be very specific so that you have no comeback. The remedial work resulting from the EICR, i would just list what you have done and why on a separate sheet of paper for the benefit of your client, and yourself if you get called back and it isn't for something you did.

Its all about making it as easy for yourself as possible, and as long as you have got it all covered one way or another, no one is going to bite your backside.

Cheers…………..Howard

Reply to comments on existing installation ? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net