Discuss Commercial CU change - legalities etc. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

_ross

-
Reaction score
Hi. Hoping someone who works on this type of stuff all the time can help clarify things for me.

There's a small shop/office that's in need of a new CU.
Nothing complicated or fancy, few 32a ring finals, few 6a lighting and a 16a radial for an electric shutter.

Am I right in understanding that as it's commercial it's completely outside the scope of part p and building control?
There is a flat above, but they have their own cut-out from the DNO - does that change anything. When I tried to check the rules on this with local building control they seemed like they didn't want to know.

In which case the considerations would be to ensure the work:
- Complies with the Electricity at Work regulations
- Is all OK with the building insurance people (full testing cert etc.)

Is there anything else to consider? Any other notification or approvals needed?

Thanks for any advice on this.

if flat has a separate meter, then part pee does not apply to the commercial side. competence and what murdoch said apply. you not want anything to go ---- up and your insurers saying " youse only covered for domesick".

I would go further than making sure the work activity complies with the EAWR, and also make sure it complies with BS7671, which is slightly more detailed in its explanation of safety requirements.

Yes Part P is exclusively for domestic not commercial. Just an EIC and that is that really. Any work you do should adhere to H&S '74 and EAWR etc ad nauseum. Apart from that nothing unusual required. Just maybe using commercial MCB i.e. 10Ka rating depending on loads and so on. Can't think of anything else. Everything else has been said above.

Thanks for the information & confirmations everyone.

Have you read and understood the scope of Part P

Does your insurance cover commercial buildings?

To be honest Murdoch, no. Part-P scope is not something I'd say I'm an expert on.
I did read something like "work in a dwelling, or associated with its surroundings" which seemed a bit vague as to what associated means.

The building insurance isn't something that has been dug into in much detail yet to find out what their requirements will be. It is a full commercial policy though.

Completely agree with your comment there Andy and everything should be up to the BS7671 standards.

To be honest Murdoch, no. Part-P scope is not something I'd say I'm an expert on.
I did read something like "work in a dwelling, or associated with its surroundings" which seemed a bit vague as to what associated means.

The building insurance isn't something that has been dug into in much detail yet to find out what their requirements will be. It is a full commercial policy though.

Completely agree with your comment there Andy and everything should be up to the BS7671 standards.

Not sure what you have been looking at or reading but there is a very simple piece of information in the Part P document (pages 5 & 6) - its a free download!

Yes Part P is exclusively for domestic not commercial. Just an EIC and that is that really. Any work you do should adhere to H&S '74 and EAWR etc ad nauseum. Apart from that nothing unusual required. Just maybe using commercial MCB i.e. 10Ka rating depending on loads and so on. Can't think of anything else. Everything else has been said above.
What exactly is a commercial mcb?

Are type C not suitable for domestic installations.
Well they aren’t generally used because there aren’t massive inrush currents like you have in some commercial circuits like motors or banks of fluorescents so Type b suffices I’m most domestic situations, there are of course exceptions to the rule. Interestingly enough I was talking about this the other day there and wonder if the switching current of LED fluoro type fittings which seem to be everywhere at the moment is comparable and require a type C or if it is significantly less and a type b would be ok to use

What exactly is a commercial mcb?
An MCB rated as stated at 10Ka are generally used more in a commercial situation and if you ask at a wholesalers for an MCB for domestic purposes you will normally be offered a 6Ka rated MCB.
Miniature Circuit Breakers (MCB) guide | Newey & Eyre - http://www.neweyandeyre.co.uk/guide-to/miniature-circuit-breakers
say;
i.e. An MCB’s circuit rating is given in Kiloamps (KA), and this indicates the level of its ability to work. For example a domestic MCB would normally have a 6KA fault level, whereas one used in an industrial application may need a unit with a 10KA fault capability.

An MCB rated as stated at 10Ka are generally used more in a commercial situation and if you ask at a wholesalers for an MCB for domestic purposes you will normally be offered a 6Ka rated MCB.
Miniature Circuit Breakers (MCB) guide | Newey & Eyre - http://www.neweyandeyre.co.uk/guide-to/miniature-circuit-breakers
say;
i.e. An MCB’s circuit rating is given in Kiloamps (KA), and this indicates the level of its ability to work. For example a domestic MCB would normally have a 6KA fault level, whereas one used in an industrial application may need a unit with a 10KA fault capability.
I would never ask a wholesaler what protective device I should use for a particular application.

Reply to Commercial CU change - legalities etc. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock