Discuss Commercial/dwelling issues in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

phil_davison

Hi,

Hope you guys can help.
I've been asked by a family friend to do some electrical work. Bit of background first.
The establishment in question was split into 3 units. A bar, a flat and a upstairs dwelling.
3 phase incoming. 1 phase Dwelling, 2 phase flat and 3 phase pub.
Both the dwelling and flat have had a recent re-wire but the pub is archachic. Original plan was to rip out the pub and change it into an dwelling.
As i'm a newby and was using the install to apply to a self cert body to get accredited. The install that was planned obviously needed to be notified.
But plans have now changed and he want to keep it as a commercial property. Is this still notifiable with the local build auth or a reconised self cert scheme? or does it come under a different part of the building regs?

Cheers for reading this

Phil

if the flat and/or dwelling are fed from the same meter, part p will apply. however, you should be able to do the job for assessment then, providing you pass, notify through napit or elecsa, whichever on you choose. ( there is another one but i forget the mame nic, or nac, of noc, something)

Only domestic is notifiable under part p. That's one of the many things wrong with it. An unqualified sparky/diyer (not you of course) can rewire a public building without being part of a scheme or showing your quals and abilities to anyone but if you add a new circuit in a house you have to jump through rings and pay for the privilege of doing so. It's all wrong.

Haha telectrix, I'm hoping to join Napit never hear of the other 1 ;).
Cheers Paul, i knew that domestic was notifiable but didnt realise any tom dick or harry could get on with a commercial gaff.
Thanks for the info!!!!

The other scheme provider people choose not to mention is the NICEIC. The most well known and respected throughout the construction industry and the most recognized by Governments bodies such Local Councils.

Also major shopping retail chains, restaurants, pubs, hotels chains favour to use NICEIC Approved Contractors to carry out their works and Periodics Inspections. The list of corporations which opt to use members of the NICEIC is endless.

Also, lots of small building companies only ask for NICY tickets.

The Electrical Safety Council is associated with the above as well.

Napit accepted me a couple of years ago with out even coming out to see me lol and that's a fact. But after I realized they are not that well known and were still playing in the 3rd division and would never reach the premier lol

I left after a year and stayed as a QS for a NICEIC company.

Hope this give a fair account of the other one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha telectrix, I'm hoping to join Napit never hear of the other 1 ;).
Cheers Paul, i knew that domestic was notifiable but didnt realise any tom dick or harry could get on with a commercial gaff.
Thanks for the info!!!!

Hi Phil, the key word as usual here is 'competent' you still have to be competent to carry out the works that you propose, regardless of whether a scheme or building regulation applies.

Assuming competency, you are free to carry out the work and certify it as you would any other job, obviously without notifying under Document P.

Hi IQ, well i've certainly checked and then checked again with the regs etc. I've got design done with all calculations, had all that checked at college for when the plan was for a dwelling. Just gotta make sure my workmanship is nice and clean. No doubt over the coming weeks i'll have everyone's head battered in here with questions.
Cheers for the input everyone

Hi IQ, well i've certainly checked and then checked again with the regs etc. I've got design done with all calculations, had all that checked at college for when the plan was for a dwelling. Just gotta make sure my workmanship is nice and clean. No doubt over the coming weeks i'll have everyone's head battered in here with questions.
Cheers for the input everyone

Well fire away in here, it keeps us all fresh mentally!

Sounds like a really good project for you!

Thanks Tony, I've heard that many conflicting reports about the different organisation, and the only 1 that wasnt helpful when I phoned was Niceic, the agent only seemed to want answer my questions if i paid my membership fee. Might have just caught them on a bad day ehh

The other scheme provider people choose not to mention is the NICEIC. The most well known and respected throughout the construction industry and the most recognized by Governments bodies such Local Councils.

Also major shopping retail chains, restaurants, pubs, hotels chains favour to use NICEIC Approved Contractors to carry out their works and Periodics Inspections. The list of corporations which opt to use members of the NICEIC is endless.

Also, lots of small building companies only ask for NICY tickets.

The Electrical Safety Council is associated with the above as well.

Napit accepted me a couple of years ago with out even coming out to see me lol and that's a fact. But after I realized they are not that well known and were still playing in the 3rd division and would never reach the premier lol

I left after a year and stayed as a QS for a NICEIC company.

Good point Tony. But the others, Elecsa in particular are now coming up on the inside so to speak, and are gaining ground on the NIC. Elecsa are now part of the ECA, and the ECA is the oldest one of the lot. and to be fair, Elecsa were never going to go far whilst they were part of an outfit that certified plastic window installers, FENSA, were they! But I agree with you the NICEIC at the moment are still the biggest outfit, and the most asked for contractors, but i have convinced a few insurance companies etc that my Elecsa paperwork carries the same clout as any other organisation, so not being NIC myself has not lost me any work. But as we say its each to their own and we all do what is best for us.

Cheers.........Howard

PS sorry for taking the thread off track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil

I'm only being honest about the schemes, and what I say holds true in the bigger picture with regards to the NICEIC and their membership levels also offer a pointer.

Tony I take it all on board pal. Lets face it you guy's know a shed load more than me.
And that i why this forum is good as you guys can pass on a little knowledge to us newbies

Howard

I know all about the ECA and Elesca and connections with the JIB lol.

I hope Elesca keep growing along with the NIC and then napit will realize the games up lol

Reply to Commercial/dwelling issues in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net