Discuss Commercial EIRC testing tips advice in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gazthesparky

-
Arms
Reaction score
Been asked to carry out an EIRC on a commercial shop unit. I haven't done any commercial EIRCs before so looking for a few pointers

I use too carry out EIRCs for the council I used to work for years ago this was domestic change of tenancy ones.

I haven't done this for a good few years so just wondering if anyone has any tips recommend any books to check out to brush up and refresh my brain.

I have my C&G 2391 and carry out EIC and minor works to cover installation work.

With this being a commercial premises does the EIRC involve testing the emergency lighting and any fire alarms or is it just the wiring to the lights and circuit that gets tested.

Is emergency light testing considered as an extra and additional to the EIRC should the customer wish to have that done.

cheers

Been asked to carry out an EIRC on a commercial shop unit. I haven't done any commercial EIRCs before so looking for a few pointers

I use too carry out EIRCs for the council I used to work for years ago this was domestic change of tenancy ones.

I haven't done this for a good few years so just wondering if anyone has any tips recommend any books to check out to brush up and refresh my brain.

I have my C&G 2391 and carry out EIC and minor works to cover installation work.

With this being a commercial premises does the EIRC involve testing the emergency lighting and any fire alarms or is it just the wiring to the lights and circuit that gets tested.

Is emergency light testing considered as an extra and additional to the EIRC should the customer wish to have that done.

cheers
I believe EM testing is a separate test

I haven't done this for a good few years
so just wondering if anyone has any tips recommend any books to check out to brush up and refresh my brain.

cheers

But you have done some Commercial reports before?

Emergency lighting not included; fire alarm - include circuit up to spur.
Key to any EICR, but especially commercial, is to agree any limitations in advance with the customer e.g. any height limits, any circuits you cannot switch off; is it 100% of circuits; what % of accessories removed & visually inspected; specifically exclude things like fire, emerg lighting, intruder etc, etc.

To be honest domestic and commercial are fundamentally the same. A circuit is a circuit no matter where it is and the Regulations are not that much different. It may be an idea to get in a few hours before opening to do any essential circuits.

But you have done some Commercial reports before?

No never had the opportunity so hence asking for some advice and tips.

thanks for the tips.

The request I have had is to provide a price for providing a EICR on the shop unit. They said that they just wanted a price for the test and not carrying out any remedial that may be required.

my terms and conditions state that any certification will be provided once full payment has been received so I will state this in my quotation.

I guess if I find and unsatisfactory test and the certificate states this then I can just provide this once I have received payment.

Job done.

any other tips or advice?

cheers

Have you been to see it and know the quantity of circuits. Most modern tills need the router to be on which is often in the office so normally till point power and the office need to be done prior to opening. Check for last person out control circuits as this will need to be done prior to opening. Normally pretty straight forward once the crucial stuff is done.

If its got a suspended ceiling its worth sticking your head above it to check it out some places will be wired on click rose system or bus bar , others will have been wired with a bow and arrow ☺

cheers

Guidance note 3 is invaluable

Emergency lighting testing is a whole different kettle of fish and not part of the eicr
Although a quick function check should be performed as per GN3 on functional testing but you can do that when you switch off for IR testing
the duration tests are definitely not part of an EICR
Whatch out for chokes and digital ballasts on fluros and possibly led drivers as most of them don’t like 500v and will have to be disconnected or tested L&N together to earth but if it’s only a small shop disconnection would be the best method and even if they do the capacitors in circuit can throw up dodgy readings
Other than that it’s pretty much the same.

Disconnect nothing, crack on with 500v testing to earth only although filtered extension leads may throw this so reduce to 250v to see if it clears it.
I’ve never managed to get a clean IR with fluros in circuit although saying that I always find myself working in in places with many many thousands of them just last week we were testing a building with 250 in it (that was the smallest building on the site):eek: thankfully they were all on Gregs I did try each circuit with them all connected and couldn’t get a clean IR so the apprentice was sent on his merry way to disconnect all of the Gregs and the reading came out at >999 Megohm as opposed to 0.00 Megohm when we first started I think there were somewhere in the region of 18 lights in most circuits.

I always view the fittings as part of the circuit on a Periodic.
So you don’t take the lamps out of pendants? Fluros out of circuit And still manage to get acceptable readings? Maybe I need to change my MFT??? The other thing to be aware of is most of the old thorn fittings say disconnect before insulation testing In my apprentice days I blew up a few 1970s era chokes testing an old school more modern kit doesn’t mind so much but still skews the readings quite a bit

Try to get past certificates/reports as in most cases no D.B. circuit charts or ways marked up. Don't be daunted by loads of boards break it down into one bit at a time.

Try to get past certificates/reports as in most cases no D.B. circuit charts or ways marked up. Don't be daunted by loads of boards break it down into one bit at a time.
Good point and even if it is marked up or is listed on the old cert don’t believe it make sure yourself nearly lost an apprentice because of that last month youd think after 2.5 years he’d know better :rolleyes:

So you don’t take the lamps out of pendants? Fluros out of circuit And still manage to get acceptable readings? Maybe I need to change my MFT??? The other thing to be aware of is most of the old thorn fittings say disconnect before insulation testing In my apprentice days I blew up a few 1970s era chokes testing an old school more modern kit doesn’t mind so much but still skews the readings quite a bit
I have never blown anything up testing at 500v to earth and I disconnect nothing. I use a stand alone IR tester.

Reply to Commercial EIRC testing tips advice in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net