Discuss Commercial Floodlight in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

silentspark

I have been asked to install a new floodlight to light up a plant hire companies yard as the one that is installed currently isn't bright enough. It needs to have a long life as it is in quite an awkward place to access for maintenance. I am unsure of the differences between sodium, metal halide and mercury? Which would be best in this situation?

The yard is a fair size, but I would say the area they are actually looking to light up is probably about 30x30m and the floodlight that I am replacing is currently mounted about 10m high. They are looking to spend as little as necessary.

Totally see where your coming from Spinks, however on this rare occasion I have to say the 150 is pretty bright, and unlike a lot of LEDs worth the money if you have a spare 600 quid going.

- - - Updated - - -

The yard is a fair size, but I would say the area they are actually looking to light up is probably about 30x30m and the floodlight that I am replacing is currently mounted about 10m high. They are looking to spend as little as necessary.
Looks like your stuck with a 400 watt son T then Fella.

Anyone considering installing LED floods should consider this, the costs are so high it is best to install a known quality make by a reputable manufacturer. For instance forgetting cost at this point I would suggest Thorlux, Dextra or Thorn to mention just 3. They have reps everywhere, usually supply local authority's with lights and have a reputation to keep. The bad point is the cost outlay, However if anything goes wrong and you get your wholesaler to contact the Area rep, IME usually this gets things moving and the faulty light replaced without any questions, even after the initial 12 month warranty. JMO.

we have used all sorts of LED floods from 80 quid ones to 800 quid ones , they either dont last or constantly trip mcbs , the start up currents on them must be enormous but none of the manufacturers can tell you exactly was it is , i would give it another few years before using them , the funny thing is we fit hundreds of indoor LED fittings and have only ever had to go back and replace 3 or 4

we have used all sorts of LED floods from 80 quid ones to 800 quid ones , they either dont last or constantly trip mcbs , the start up currents on them must be enormous
To be fair Ian that comes down to design though M8, using the correct Overcurrent protective devices, not trying to be a Dick, I actually agree with most of what your saying Pal.

We have fitted an awful lot of 30w, 50w and 100w led floods all of the same manufacturer and never had a single one fail. Been fitting them for two years or more.

If you basically are overloading and causing tripping problems, although LEDs are lower than most standard lamps in wattage Some sparks think adding lots of LEDs onto circuits is actually less load when it can be more. Obviously in general they are less individually the modern Floods are not far off in wattage actually than the lights they actually replaced. The circuit requirements are not calculated correctly and the wrong sized devices used at times as well.

cheers they look just like some of the ones we have fitted the cheaper ones all look the same to be honest except a different name , we get most of ours from cef or direct from manufacturers some can return them no problem and it always seem to be the transformer that goes

Reply to Commercial Floodlight in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net