Discuss Commercial kitchen gas interlocks in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys 1st fixing a small commercial pub kitchen tomorrow, there's a gas interlock going in with the extractor canopy. Does the wiring to the solenoid and em stop need to be fp or equivalent ? Haven't done one before but remember seeing one wired in fp

Cheers

Usually yes...wired in FP and also linked to fire alarm panel, as a dual shutdown. Specification should list cable and operation requirements as per the designers and BC risk assessment.

I did one earlier this year which came with 30 mtrs of 2 core control cable prewired and was going to substitute with fp as I'd seen a few wired this way but I had a discussion with the fire alarm guy who'd done lots of these and his opinion was if there was a fire which could damage the interlock cable then it wasn't a problem as the high resistance due to heat, would drop the solenoid out, stopping the gas flow, plus the interlock will disconnect when the fire alarm is operated so why use a cable which will withstand a fire for a period of time,
if the fire alarm did fail to operate and no one operates the emergency stops, you've effectively allowed the gas flow to continue thus doing the opposite of its intended purpose.
I think is a fair comment, and would be interested to hear any opinions.
I spoke to the manufacturer and this was their opinion also , so as suggested I'd call the manufacturer and check their recommendations before deciding.

I did one earlier this year which came with 30 mtrs of 2 core control cable prewired and was going to substitute with fp as I'd seen a few wired this way but I had a discussion with the fire alarm guy who'd done lots of these and his opinion was if there was a fire which could damage the interlock cable then it wasn't a problem as the high resistance due to heat, would drop the solenoid out, stopping the gas flow, plus the interlock will disconnect when the fire alarm is operated so why use a cable which will withstand a fire for a period of time,
if the fire alarm did fail to operate and no one operates the emergency stops, you've effectively allowed the gas flow to continue thus doing the opposite of its intended purpose.
I think is a fair comment, and would be interested to hear any opinions.
I spoke to the manufacturer and this was their opinion also , so as suggested I'd call the manufacturer and check their recommendations before deciding.
By the time any form of cable is on it last legs due to fire, I would most certainly hope the fire alarm has already kick in, and shut all plant down...including the gas. Manufactures can only give guidance, the building designer and local BC know what is required for the project....

Hi Lads! I have just fitted 59 gas interlocks for the local primmary schools, (meals for all goverment deal). The Interlock and valve are for kitchen safety only, they inter-connect with 1/ cooker extractor fan 2/EM stop (fitted at fire escape door) 3/Co detector. With regards to the fire alarm that will be inter-faced to a gas shut off valve at the main incoming gas supply. All wired in your choice of cable/containment as a Qualified Sparks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lads! I have just fitted 59 gas interlocks for the local primmary schools, (meals for all goverment deal). The Interlock and valve are for kitchen safety only, they inter-connect with 1/ cooker extractor fan 2/EM stop (fitted at fire escape door) 3/Co detector. With regards to the fire alarm that will be inter-faced to a gas shut off valve at the main incoming gas supply. All wired in your choice of cable/containment as a Qualified Sparks.

Have you been to the OPs job and assessed it for yourself? If not then how can you state categorically that there is another shutoff at the incoming position and that this one does not need linking to the fire alarm?

Reply to Commercial kitchen gas interlocks in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net