Discuss Commercial lighting design in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Smugley

Hi all, I generally only work domestically, but a friend has taken on a hairdressing salon and asked me to install some strip lighting. He's not been too specific but says he needs 'white' light at work level. The light from the existing halogens is too warm. Thing is, their staff need to get accurate colour rendering. I looked up the SLL advice for salons and they recommend a maintained illuminance of 500 lux, Limited glare rating 19 and Ra of at least 90. I've loaded up the Dialux lite software and started a model of the shop, (15mx5m ceiling ht. 3m) but I don't get all the data necessary and as this isn't my usual line the learning curve looks quite steep for the Dialux full version.

Anyone recommend a supplier who will do the calcs/design for me to ensure I get it right? I expect it will be about 8 double 70w strips.

Depends on how much you want to spend really.

Thorlux will design for you at a price, CEF have a design service at a better price but the fittings are cack.

Most fitting manufacturers will have a design service of some description.

Thanks Lenny. I'll try CEF as they offered to do it for nothing. What do you mean by cack fittings? Difficult to install? Fall apart when you change lamps etc? He wants cheap, and only expects to be there for one 5yr lease.

I wired a hair dresser salon a few years ago. To be honest I didn't even think about colour rendering! woops.
I installed 600x600 recessed fittings each with 4 colour 840 tubes and diffusers.They seem happy with it, nice and bright.
You can get daylight tubes, but they are ridiculously expensive, about 10 quid an 18w tube

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Lenny. I'll try CEF as they offered to do it for nothing. What do you mean by cack fittings? Difficult to install? Fall apart when you change lamps etc? He wants cheap, and only expects to be there for one 5yr lease.

By cack fittings he means they will try to sell you their own make Tamlite fittings which are s*** and are known as this through out the industry.

Last edited:
The CEF design will probably be done by Tamlite using Relux software, You can download Relux Pro for free and it has more options gadgets and gizmo's then you could ever need. They also have full online catalouges for all the main lighting maufactures so you can select just about any light fitting and lamp you could think of.

Thanks to all for the comments. The relux software sounds similar to dialux which I've used. Well, I'll see what he suggests and look at an alternative to tamlite then! Cheers.

Incidentally, could you suggest a reasonable alternative to the tamlite products which are at the cheaper end of the market? I expect I'll be needing about eight 5ft or 6ft twin battens.

Reply to Commercial lighting design in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net